More people are emigrating from the Netherlands

Monday 21 January 2013

Nearly 400 people a day leave the Netherlands to live in another country, a 'sharp increase' on a year ago, the Telegraaf reports on Monday.

Last year, 144,175 people emigrated, the paper says, quoting figures from the national statistics office CBS. In 2011, nearly 134,000 people left and in 2010, 121,000.

The main reasons for leaving are unhappiness about the political climate, the economic crisis and the fact society is becoming ‘harder’ the paper says.

Germany, Belgium and England were the most popular destinations, followed by Scandinavian countries.

Goodness this seems strange, I live in Italy and would love to come over to Holland to live,remember that the grass is not always greener on the other side!!!

By Pamela Harrison | 21 January 2013 9:57 AM

I don't blame them. Having lived here for 1½ year now, i'm surely longing home to Scandinavia again (Sweden to be precise). While i very much love the people, there are just too much wrong here. 40% tax and 100euros a month for healthinsurance (and I didn't even reach my own-risk last year). In Sweden you pay 100euros for healthcare then it's free rest of the year, and around 150euros for meds then free. In conclusion; it's about the same payrate, but in Holland I pay 40% tax and atleast 1200euros / year in healthcare even if i dont need any. In Sweden its 30% tax and 250euros / year in healthcare, but only if i use it.

By Saraaa | 21 January 2013 11:06 AM

Well Pamela, you kinda comment on your own comment ;)

By Visitohr | 21 January 2013 11:54 AM

Exactly Pamela: the grass is not greener on this side anymore.
Perhaps it is compared to southern european countries, but only if you come with a solid CV and experience.
If you come lokking for "any job" with no education and no knowledge of foreign languages (English and Dutch at least), it is better to stay home or move elsewhere.

By joanna | 21 January 2013 11:55 AM

I too would love to move to the Nederlands, where my heritage is, but stand no chance of ever getting citizenship

By Karl H | 21 January 2013 12:00 PM

We came here from England in 2011. My Dutch wife wants to go back to England though.

By Darren | 21 January 2013 12:34 PM

This is not surprising. The 3 main reasons for people leaving are spot on too.

By Z | 21 January 2013 12:36 PM

Yes, the choice of those destinations does not really support the reasons given for leaving. Society is becoming "harder"? lol.

By Pwhetton | 21 January 2013 12:57 PM

...and then they emigrate to the UK? LOL

By Chris L. | 21 January 2013 1:05 PM

England? That's interesting, considering their economy isn't all that healthy. I wonder why?

By CW | 21 January 2013 1:13 PM

Now why does this not surprise me at all? Many of my friends and business partners have left over the last few years. Political climate, artificially created economic crisis, high tax, immigration politics treating asylum seekers and refugees with contempt and disrespect, grumpy people, racism and right wing politics on the rise and oh yeah the weather sucks big time. Time to leave!

By Dr, Frankenstein | 21 January 2013 1:21 PM

Well, it is not strange at all if you know the facts. If the situation goes on like this, (the cost of living in NL, i mean), then the country of Albert Hein, will be the best spot only for the rich ones!

By Johnny B | 21 January 2013 1:39 PM

Having just moved to the Netherlands from the UK, I think people moving to the UK will not find things any better there.

By Jessica D | 21 January 2013 1:59 PM

England, Germany and Belgium also have an economic crisis... and I doubt that society is "softer" in Germany or England...

By David Hauptmann | 21 January 2013 2:12 PM

It is all a matter of perspective.
I am sure people living in Some poor parts of the world, would love to go to Italy.

All depends what you are looking for...

By Saladin | 21 January 2013 2:21 PM

So much for the Netherlands being 'full'. At least it gives more room for the people coming in ;-)

By Nika | 21 January 2013 2:33 PM

Like Pamela, I too would love to live in the Netherlands as it is my heritage and ancestory country, but my chances of doing so are virtually nil.

By Karl H | 21 January 2013 3:27 PM

Yup, theres a tax for emigration too...

By Artemis | 21 January 2013 4:17 PM

Not strange at all, Pamela. The Netherlands, particularly the big cities, is becoming increasingly violent, the bureaucracy is ridiculous, and immigration is unchecked. And, unlike Italy, it doesn't even have any beautiful countryside to redeem it.

By woods | 21 January 2013 5:35 PM

1.- NLD became "harder",
2.- Germany is top-location for emmigration.
3.- ... so is Germany perceived as a friendlier society than Dutch?

??? lived in both and this completely baffles me.

By wohoo | 21 January 2013 5:47 PM

They cited "Germany, Belgium and England were the most popular destinations, followed by Scandinavian countries".

There was no mention of Italy. I'd move to the south of France if I could just persuade my wife :)

By simon | 21 January 2013 5:51 PM

The netherlands is becoming increasingly violent.? Are you serious? Come to Baltimore or Washington or Philly and we'll show you violent. Sure, it may be a wee bit crowded in the Nl, but you people must not appreciate what you have. I have been to your country probably 12 times since 1993 and would return without hesitation. Your politicians are moving a bit to the right, but your country seems to grasp the concept of freedom to choose. At least you don't have douchebags with assualt weapons shooting up your schools on a fairly regular basis. Think England is better? You obviously haven't been to Manchester or London's east end lately.

By americanklootzak | 22 January 2013 3:51 AM

Indeed the grass is always greener to all you commenter’s wishing you could live here. Living here in the Netherlands for any real length of time is not easy in any way, and a lot of foreigners often become quite lonely and isolated. Dutch people are very nice on the surface (and also genuinely nice inside their own culture in their own unique way) but are generally standoff-ish when it comes to really becoming close or friends with foreigners. This (a)social factor and the horrible dark wet weather make NL a very very difficult place to live for a long time.

By HK | 22 January 2013 8:35 AM

The gov costs too much, personal tax and health insurance are always increasing. Gov should learn from the Brunei King on how to treat the people properly even though he is a dictator.

By ufo | 22 January 2013 9:32 AM

The choice of destination is somewhat obvious: Ease of inburging.

Belgium: close to NL and they speak flemish/Dutch
Germany: close to NL and the Dutch (generally) speak German.
UK: not so close, but cheap commutes via EasyJet, etc and the Dutch speak English.
Scandinavia: not so close, but ubiquity of English skills and renowned standards of living.

The above are also (reasonably) culturally similar to NL.

Italy: not close (better weather, food and countryside), fewer jobs, and you need to learn the language.
Greece: not close (better weather, food and countryside), fewer jobs and you need to learn the language.

The destinations are not surprising. As for what they get on arrival: a change is as good as a rest.

By H. | 22 January 2013 9:54 AM

Same here. I'd move to southern France if I could just persuade my wife. I've been talking about it for five years now. The tranquility and the friendliness I came here for are gone. Adding the pollution levels, well it's really time to go even though it is much quieter here then most cities I lived in.

By FeliceB | 22 January 2013 11:50 AM

I'd move for those reasons if I could afford it.

By a | 22 January 2013 12:24 PM

Dont know why someone would want to leave due to the political climate, it is the same everywhere, coalition politics has place for all shades of political parties.

Security or racism wise, NL is better than UK, Belgium or Germany.

Economic reasons is understandable but I don't think someone would want to move to England unless you have a job in hand. The market is worse over there. I have lived here from 6 years now and I am quite happy living here but if ever I move, it will be because of economic/career reasons not due to political climate or societal changes.

By Prithvi | 22 January 2013 2:03 PM

I am hoping to leave NL in 2013. Reason - The Dutch Government seems to be against the car driver. I drive a Defender Land Rover and I'am charged 195 Euro per month as road tax, while in UK it's 190 pounds a year. So bye bye NL.

By kk | 22 January 2013 3:37 PM

I have never ever regretted moving from Oslo to Amsterdam.

Sure, the wages here are only about half, but cost of living is also WAY lower, so in the end I would say standard of living is similar.

Unemployment, though is well below three percent in Norway. If you struggle to find work here, give it a shot. If you can stand the cold, that is.

By Jan | 22 January 2013 3:50 PM

Hello, americanklootzak :) I was born and brought up in London's east end. And why compare it to anywhere? Since I moved her in the 70s there is absolutely NO denying that NL (particularly Amsterdam) has become increasingly more violent.

By woods | 22 January 2013 6:05 PM

Me and my wife have paid more than 2400 euro for health insurance last year and we didnt reach the own risk, so I had to pay more end of the year to cover own risk. And this year government has increased own risk to 350 euro, it increaseas every year inspite of having policy for last four years. How on earth I will pay every month more than 100 euro for insurance and up to 350 euro for own risk!! Disgusting DAAtch policy.

By Buiyan | 22 January 2013 7:31 PM

Agh, so many good comments!

I try to be in the tropics once a year to forget everything I read here to keep my yearly sanity for a month, a place with no newspapers and lousy internet. ;)

By The visitor | 22 January 2013 9:53 PM

....someone in Holland would like to go at live in Italy???..my God,totally crazy!
But,please,no problem is an your choice...change your house with my in Italy!Change your citizenship of Dutch,with mine italian....but please later you don't ask back.

By Luciano66 | 22 January 2013 10:49 PM

It's not bad here, and I find the Netherlands to be a rather unremarkable country overall. Upsides: Dutch are approachable, lots of personal freedom and tolerance. Downsides: weather, high taxationn not matched by mediocre public services, and the Police are useless, more prone to helping criminals avoid prosecution.

By John Tweeg | 22 January 2013 11:07 PM

mmm, the UK they say? it certainly is not better there with serious over crowding, anti-social behaviour and low paid jobs only, voted the worst place to bring up children. I'd think long & hard before ending up there.

By Rob | 22 January 2013 11:47 PM

@Rob I believe the survey you refer to was from 2010. In the same survey, the UK was voted one of the best places for cultural integration. I suppose you can't have everything, wherever you choose to live! The HSBC survey only covered 6 "developed" countries and concluded that Australia was the best country to raise children, followed by Singapore, Hong Kong, UAE, The US, and then the UK.

By Mr Me | 23 January 2013 9:48 AM

With characters like Wilders on the loose in the Netherlands, is it any wonder people want to leave ?

By SAS | 26 January 2013 5:24 PM