More organ donations carried out in 2012

Thursday 17 January 2013

The number of people undergoing organ transplants in the Netherlands went up last year, in what is hopefully ‘the start of a long-lasting trend’, the Dutch transplant foundation said on Friday.

Last year 1,225 people received a donor organ, up 9% on 2011. Organs were donated by 251 people who had died and 488 live donors.

On January 1, 1,286 people were on the waiting list for an organ, slightly down on a year ago.

Are you prepared to donate your organs? Have your say using the comment box below.

Would I want my organs donated if I were to meet an untimely death? Yes, absolutely!! I can think of no good reason that my (hopefully) healthy organs should just go up in smoke at in a crematorium when they could help save lives! What an incredible gift to be able to give someone. Please DutchNews readers-- make a pledge to donate your organs and make sure your family knows that this is your wish!

By Cal | 17 January 2013 4:41 PM

I (would) gladly donate any part of my body to help another live once I am gone..but i know there is a catch and am not prepared to see any bugger make big money from my death, bah! - I don't want anyone to make money from my organs, op costs only, is there any guarantee?

I know, dumb question duh..

By The visitor | 17 January 2013 11:23 PM

There are at least two sides to every story.

By ufo | 18 January 2013 9:16 AM

How do you go about registering as an organ donor over here? In the UK I am on the organ donation register and it says so on my driving licence, but how does the system work over. If I kick the bucket while over here, I would like to be recycled as much as possible!

By Darren | 18 January 2013 9:24 AM

My girlfriend was one of the 1225 people that received a transplant last year. Happy to say things are going well. I don't think she would have had the transplant so fast if it wasn't for the push. Glad to see the percentages are increasing as this really is an important subject.

By Bamm | 18 January 2013 12:42 PM

I just received my donor card after registering this year. So hopefully the trend will go. We still can do some great good even if we die.

@Darren: donorregister.nl

By Daniela | 21 January 2013 10:43 AM

Thanks Daniela. Will register now.

By Darren | 21 January 2013 11:01 AM