More journeys made via Eindhoven airport

Monday 07 January 2013

Nearly three million journeys were made via Eindhoven airport in 2012, an increase of 13% on the previous year.

The growth is due to an increase in the number of destinations served by the airport, which went up from 37 to 42.

The airport expects to reach 3.4 million passengers this year, a rise of 14%.

About time that an alternative to Schiphol is available, Schiphol is too small for the number of flights and people, it is dangerous.

By AndyT | 7 January 2013 8:11 PM

Glad to see an alternative airport with growing options. @AndyT: However, I would argue that Schiphol is truly one of the best airports in the world. I have traveled extensively in both N. and S. America, Europe, Africa (not so much in Asia beyond China). I have to say, the Dutch do a fine job of running Schiphol very efficiently. It is one of my favorite airports! It just works, and that is exactly what I need. I agree things are getting slightly crowded of late, but I think the Dutch will figure it out and keep things running smoothly.

By Rick Kane | 8 January 2013 8:32 AM

Schiphol is bigger then some other airports that handle more flights or passengers. It has more runways as ATL, which is the biggest airport in the world. HTR, the 3rd in the world, has only 2 runways.

By pepe | 8 January 2013 11:18 AM

@AndyT: Schiphol has 6 runways, 4 of which can handle any civilian airplane in the World. It is not a small airport at all.

By A.L. | 8 January 2013 2:12 PM

Schiphol dangerous? Are you kidding me? Try flying to/from Ezeiza in Buenos Aires, every now and then the main radar is out of order (April last year it went down due to a lack of lubricant).

By JF | 8 January 2013 2:28 PM

it is good that there is an alternative, especially in a small country like NL. Then again, Eindhoven Airport is not so well served by Train/shuttle as Schiphol. About schiphol: it is a fantastic airport though I also love the Asian ones I saw (e.g. Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong). I think it is inevitable that Schiphol will have to give up its "1 terminal" concept if it is to grow further. just look at the 5th runway: it is already a joke it's so far from the terminal!

By the_expat | 8 January 2013 6:09 PM