Household spending power falls for fifth quarter in a row

Friday 04 January 2013

Dutch households saw their disposable income shrink again in the third quarter of last year, according to the national statistics office CBS.

The CBS said on Friday, spending power fell 2.4% in the quarter compared with the year-earlier period. It was the fifth quarter in a row that spending power has gone down.

The drop is due to inflation of around 2% and a virtual wage stagnation, the CBS said.

Households made up for the shortfall by both reducing their spending and by saving less.

Have you noticed having less to spend? Use the comment form below to share your views.

I have noticed having less to spend. That is mainly because my wife is the chief wage earner and she is tighter than two coats of paint.

By Darren | 4 January 2013 2:10 PM

Yes, just before Christmas I landed myself a new girlfriend..now I have to use my heating, oh bugger!

(Many of the small independent shops that cater for the ethnic minority sell certain products at a cheaper price than supermarkets, worth checking out. :)

By The visitor | 4 January 2013 4:33 PM

jeepers guys.. from the first two comments it seems that spending power falls only as a result of relationships. I thought the issue was that at the same living conditions the spending power is decreasing. Personally I have not felt it yet. However, my sense of sustainable income security ( ie job security) is declining steadily

By the_expat | 4 January 2013 11:00 PM

@ The visitor, which shops are those as the ones I visit are always more expensive than supermarkets?

By Keyser Soze | 5 January 2013 8:45 AM

@Keyser Soze: small shop Rousseaustraat Haarlem: 1 kilo bananas €1,25 or less. 900gr. black beans €1,50. etc..run by some Somalians.

Going to check the Bijlmer soon, many more specialist shops with 'interesting' food. My current GF is African (Niger Delta.)

If you buy in bulk, try to get a discount, good luck! ;)

By The visitor | 5 January 2013 9:18 PM

@ The expat - This is a difficult time for almost everyone. I am glad that I was taught home economics at school - it has really come in useful. I just like moaning about my wife.

By Darren | 5 January 2013 11:22 PM