'Health insurers should have say over long-term psychiatric care'

Thursday 24 January 2013

Health insurance companies should be asked to approve what sort of further treatment patients with long-term psychiatric problems get, the health insurance council says in leaked recommendations.

At the moment, doctors and patients decide on the nature and duration of treatment and health insurers are kept out of the process.

However, leaked draft recommendations from the council suggest insurers be consulted about 'chronic long-term syndromes'. It would then be decided if further treatment should be funded by health insurance, the AWBZ long-term care fund or local councils.

The council's role is to advise the government which elements of healthcare should be included in the basic compulsory insurance package

Health insurers should never have say a single word about any treatments patients need.
That's the doctors' jobs!

They can only decide what they include in their coverage, end of story. And up to the each of us to read their policies and decide which one to accept. Once the deal is signed, insurance companies only have to pay, not discuss the treatments!!

By joanna | 24 January 2013 2:10 PM

Translation: "They're all liars and we shouldn't have to pay for them."

They're not advisers. They are lobbyists protecting their profits. And nothing more.

By CW | 24 January 2013 2:12 PM

I have been living in the Netherlands for 3 years now ( 2 years student working now for almost 16 months), I have paid like around 3300 euros for health insurance till now. Where is this money being spent, if insurance company want eigen risico to go up then why don't the premium rates go down. I have never used any insurance benefits, do I have to get like cancer to justify myself paying so much money on health insurance.

By SC | 24 January 2013 3:25 PM

what a crap.. Health insurance companies should not be asked anything. Doctors should be the ones who decided what treatments are suitable to his patients, not Health insurance companies. They only care about money .

By Jose | 24 January 2013 4:48 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the insurance companies decide in a consistent manner that it should be funded by someone else or not provided. Otherwise it would hit their profits.

Whether someone needs the treatment or not should be the decision of qualified staff, i.e. doctors and nurses, not by an accountant eager to secure his year end bonus that's tied to maximising profits.

By H. | 24 January 2013 4:59 PM

We know how the banks gambled irresponsibly with our money. Now the insurance companies are gambling irresponsibly with our healthcare. How much pain must this nation endure before a stop is put to these financial scams.

By jaycee | 24 January 2013 5:17 PM

Hi,
'Health insurers should have say over long-term psychiatric care'. On not finding a job and my savings running out I became depressed and miserable. I went to my doctor to ask for serotonin receptor uptake blocker she told me she could not give me them and I must go to a psychiatrist. The first one told me the drugs don’t work anyway. The next one on knocking on his door he opened and told me I am at the wrong door and go to the next door 2m away. On doing this and observing through the window him moving to the appropriate door, he opened and said come in sit down he not looking me in the eyes had his shoe laces undone, I think just got out of bed this 2.00 AM. Informing him of my endeavors he told me I must first have twenty sitting each of one hour and then he may give me the medicine. I then forgot the idea and now I just miserable and depressed.

By Terence Hale | 25 January 2013 12:34 PM

@Terence Hale: chin up m8, last time I saw a shrink I had to wait 5 weeks for the app. From what he told me I could see an apparition of €-tattoos on his eyelids when he blinked: I ended up coffee-shopping my blues away, best meds I know, but makes you eat like a pig lol!

My daughter's BF went back to his own country (Brazil) for 5 months after cancelling his med ins to settle his divorce: when he came back he owed 5 months contributions! (Get it in writing) be hard, be strong, be careful! :)

Wanna be a successful legal criminal? - Health insurers!! :P

By The visitor | 25 January 2013 7:31 PM

That's like leaving the fox in charge of the hen house! Medical decisions should be left up to the physician. They have protocol for standards of health care.

By M | 26 January 2013 9:07 AM

Sorry to hear that, Terrence :( I had horrible experiences with doctors in NL, too. I hope you can find relief somewhere. Have you ever tried marijuana? (Serious question.)

By Stupid | 26 January 2013 7:47 PM