The Dutch throw away ten million slices of bread a day

Tuesday 22 January 2013

The Dutch throw away one out of every five slices of bread they buy each day, which amounts to around ten million slices, according to new research.

And of all the pasta and rice bought, two out of five packets end up in the rubbish bin.

The figures come from the environmental information organisation Milieu Centraal, which analysed waste food in 2010 by ripping open rubbish bags and sorting through their contents.

Adjusting the waste food found with sales figures, the organisation came to the conclusion that 14% of all the food bought is thrown away unused.

Apart from bread, the most-wasted items are rice (38%), pasta (23%) and potatoes (23%). 'This is mainly because people cannot estimate how much rice and pasta they need as it swells in the saucepan,' a spokesman said.

Per year, Dutch households waste 800 million kilos of food, the report said.

Throwing bread awya is still better than eating it. Bread may causes intestinal as well as skeletal (rheumatoid)pain and can be quite fattening.

By Trevor Browne | 22 January 2013 5:31 PM

I rarely, if ever, throw food away. Unwanted bread, for example, goes to the birds...

By woods | 22 January 2013 5:35 PM

I am sorry (or rather no, I am not) - but THIS THING is not a BREAD!
quality is crap - it lands in the bin, period.

By buitenlander | 22 January 2013 5:45 PM

perhaps the food waste will decrease with the decrease in pensions.

By Janka | 22 January 2013 6:18 PM

i was always thaught always take less on your plate then need ,you can always take seconds ,but never throw any food away'
my mother said throwing away food is a sin.
because it came from the lord and everything he gives us is good.

By roelie haveman | 22 January 2013 6:23 PM

Could be something to do with the quality of Dutch bread.....

By Edward Ka-Spel | 22 January 2013 7:10 PM

This is nothing compared to the giant cartel of supermarkets. No matter what the food product is, as soon as the sell-by-date expires, it is discarded.

Furthermore, supermarkets are reluctant to sell any produce that's expired: this has to do with profit margins, seeing as they overcharge us to compensate for wastage & theft anyway!

If the Dutch kept their bread as I do in the freezer, there would be no 'green bread', & zero wastage, right folks?

By The visitor | 22 January 2013 7:23 PM

Its not only the Dutch that do that, the citizens of the UK also through out a lot of food as well.
British households waste about the same as the Dutch. After Christmas I confess that I threw out a lot of food that I just could not eat.

By almorr | 22 January 2013 7:31 PM

Looks like some people need to learn how to cleverly use leftovers. I never throw out cooked rice, it can be used in all manner of things. With your stir-fry, in your tacos, with your chili, in soups... the list is endless. Since food is exceptionally expensive in BC, I've become quite creative :) Also, freeze your bread and only take out what you need each day!

By Stupid | 22 January 2013 9:31 PM

Let's launch the Lunch Leftover Makeover in Holland.#LunchLeftoverNL. Dutch people don't seem to keep extra food until the next day - leftovers make great lunches, heated in the microwave or on the stove. Keep that pasta and rice and put a nice sauce on it. Save money and save food!

By YankinLowlands | 22 January 2013 9:51 PM

All that food could certainly feed a lot of poor and hungry people in the EU these days.

By Marie | 23 January 2013 6:03 AM

The best way to explain it to Dutch folks: You are throwing money in the garbage!

By George | 23 January 2013 8:35 AM

Surely this issue can be directly attributed to the low quality of foodstuff. I find myself constantly having to throw out food, not because I cooked too much but because after 2-5 days food is completely moldy. Only last week I bought a punnet of raspberries (on Sat), my wife took them out of the fridge Tuesday morning only to find a punnet of green fungal growth. There is nothing worse that buying fresh bread and having to throw it as a result of mold. And yo you naysayers reading tis.. I refuse to freeze my bread to stop mold. They call it fresh for a reason

By Dave | 23 January 2013 10:34 AM

"Per year, Dutch households waste 800 million kilos of food, the report said."
I hope to never hear anyone say that overpopulation is creating scarce resources! That is a myth propagated by xenophobes.

By AC | 23 January 2013 10:44 AM

I never throw food away.
I come from a farming background & growing up on the family farm in the '60s & '70s nothing was thrown away.
Bread can be put in the freezer & used for toast with soups, stews or omelette. ( You can toast bread from frozen, no need to thaw ).
Cooked rice & pasta can be reused for main meals or desserts. Add some coffee creamer, dried fruit & cinnamon to the rice or pasta for a sweet dessert.

By Donaugh | 23 January 2013 11:30 AM

And how much of that is stale or mouldy?

By GGG | 23 January 2013 11:42 AM

Whith all the hunger there is in this world... they should be ashamed...

By JF | 23 January 2013 12:48 PM

Two weeks ago Guardian had an article about the world throwing away nearly half of the food:

By pepe | 23 January 2013 5:10 PM

If you're going to re-use leftover rice be sure you have stored it correctly. It should be cooled as fast as possible (within the hour) and used the next day. Otherwise you run the risk of food poisoning due to Bacillus cereus. As for bread, keep it in the freezer.

By groverpm | 23 January 2013 7:01 PM

Accordinly to 800Mil Kg wasted food/year. This says each household wasted 111Kg of food/year, i.e 300gram of food each day.
Perhaps we cld consider starving children in Africa or ppl who stuck in natural disaster without food for days. I believe in Karma, what comes around goes around, do you?

By Mei CHIN | 27 January 2013 11:42 AM

I recently visited my daughter and her family who live outside of Amsterdam in a small village.She commented that the bread she bought from the market never lasted more than a day or two..it always turned moldy..she figured it was because it contained no preservatives.

By Ken from Texas | 4 March 2013 1:32 AM