Councils charge up to €1,000 to scatter a loved one's ashes

Sunday 27 January 2013

Dutch local councils charge wildly differing fees to have the ashes of loved ones scattered following a cremation, according to television consumer show Kassa.

The most expensive of the Netherlands’s 400 plus local councils is Hardinxveld-Giessendam where the council charges €1,079.75 to scatter ashes. Nijkerk, Papendrecht and Sluis also charge above €700.

Some councils, like IJsselstein and Bodegraven do not charge at all. The average cost is around €150.

In the Netherlands, by law ash can only be scattered in specially designated areas.

Earlier stories
We're getting fatter and crematoria need bigger ovens
Crematoria don't collect enough gold

Getting tired of the government getting involved in every area of our lives.

By a | 27 January 2013 11:49 AM

I shall be telling my children to break the law and scatter me wherever they want, as a final nose-thumb to the rip-off Dutch authorities.

By osita | 27 January 2013 5:51 PM

Agh! Imagine getting caught illegally scattering a loved one's ashes, OMG, how embarrassing!

I won't even contemplate how heavy the 'money-grabbing' fine would be, probably insanely more than a person's dog fouling a footpath, disgusting!

(Lol, how much to be scattered on Zandvoort Beach? - €2,200 during low season at high tide? :P )

(Please scatter my ashes on an illegal marijuana plantation, cheers ;)

By The visitor | 27 January 2013 7:01 PM

By LJK | 27 January 2013 10:13 PM

I believe the fine for emptying your car ashtray in a public place is €90
Danny

By D.Hagan | 28 January 2013 8:29 AM

"Who follows this law? Your ashes are handed to the next of kin and that person is free to scatter where they wish, right? I mean how would people even know?"
Don't say this too loud. There will likely be a new government department soon where you once a year (at a fee of course) must prove that you still have the ashes.

By HenkV | 29 January 2013 3:04 AM

This doesn't surprise me at all :D Oh, Netherlands...

By expat | 29 January 2013 7:52 AM