The Netherlands drops plans to ban illegal downloading

Friday 21 December 2012

There will be no official ban on the illegal downloading of films, software and music in the Netherlands, MPs decided on Thursday.

Instead, a home copy levy will be added to the cost of smartphones, cds and dvds on a permanent basis. The aim of the levy is to compensate copyright holders for income lost through illegal downloading.

‘Parliament has made the clear choice to carry out much-needed modernisation of copyright laws within the bounds of internet freedom,’ said Kees Verhoeven, an MP for the D66 Liberals and one of the authors of the legislation.

Unpaid downloads

‘A download ban does not solve the problem of unpaid downloads and it also infringes on the privacy of individual users,’ Verhoeven said.

The decision to drop plans for a ban comes a month after justice minister Fred Teeven said he was to revive plans for a formal ban on the illegal downloading of books, films and music from the internet.

The Netherlands has already introduced a home copying fee of up to €5 on smartphones and dvds as a temporary ruling while details of a ban on home copying were being worked out.

Earlier stories

Download ban back on the table

Government puts home copying on smartphones, tablets
Minister to press ahead with download ban, blames EU pressure

Your thoughts? Use the comment form below.

If I have to pay extra for a phone, CD, DVD, tablet, etc to compensate the copyright holders, then I consider that I've already paid for the right to copy and use their "products" and no further charges are required.

Otherwise, they should return this tax on my needs to make backups of my own files (photos, etc.)

By H. | 21 December 2012 11:34 AM

This is good news for a change, but how long before it reverts?

Who the heck uses DVDs these days? Flash drives external or internal drives are more likely being used right?

Personally I couldn't care less about the large corporations that form cartels to milk citizens all over the world & often their own artists, so there! "V" ;)

By The visitor | 21 December 2012 11:52 AM

It's rare anyone needs to download films or music anyway these days. There are several places you can stream all the music you want, and most films that you might want, and software, again unless you're doing some serious video editing... there are excellent free Anti Vi / Graphics manipulators / music players / office suites about.

By Alistair Wiseman | 21 December 2012 12:12 PM

Let freedom ring.

By dilbert | 21 December 2012 12:36 PM

Then why is there a restriction to access The Pirate Bay from Ziggo and XS4ALL?

By George | 21 December 2012 1:32 PM

Since the ban on direct contact with Pirate bay there are 100's of proxies that any 6 year old can find. A ban is not enforceable
Levy on DVD's means people will buy in Germany or record on to hard disk
2 terrabytes is now below E100 thats 2 thousand films or 20 thousdand CD's

By nd | 21 December 2012 1:44 PM

very normal democratic news,people are paying billions of dollars to entertainment industry,greed is a sin.

By el lungo | 21 December 2012 4:26 PM

I dont think The Visitor realizes how much downloading hurts
local companies like recording studios and music stores .
I m sure Ford isnt the best to their employees but it does not mean I should steal a car !!! The old "labels ripping off artists" line does not cut it anymore . Record labels are not "large corporations anymore thanks to people like the visitor . dank u well

By john morand | 21 December 2012 7:42 PM

Hi,
The Netherlands drops plans to ban illegal downloading. Allied to such we may be dealing with an infringement of law. I purchase a DVD; I play the DVD on my computer I got a “Blue screen” which when traced was from the Brain or brine. I don’t know who these people are but this breaking and entering is in terms of law illegal.

By Terence Hale | 21 December 2012 8:58 PM

"Put a levy the high speed internet connections - 20Mb/sec is more than enough - above this people are downloading."

Not for modern online games, generally. Also, there are lots of legal downloads, like Steam, and pretty much everything on the web goes faster.

Well, anyway, this levy will only make things cheaper for me anyway. Make me pay for pirating on certain things? Then I'll gladly make use of what I paid for.

By Someone | 21 December 2012 9:49 PM

Hi,
The Netherlands drops plans to ban illegal downloading. I’ve been thinking. If your government wants something to ban they should put milk, cheese and butter on the banned narcotic’s list. Such would solve all the farmers problems.

By Terence Hale | 22 December 2012 12:16 PM

Where is this ''home copying fee'' going? Are the artists, being refunded from this ''home copying fee''??? Yeah, sure.....

By Art | 22 December 2012 10:38 PM

I don't think that John Morond cares much for people that use file sharing, and is it 'hurt' john or do you mean 'lower profits'? 'Already proven that the larger the corporations, the more likely cartels will form. So in the mean time I guess that's okay & the 'gewone man' is wrong & receives punishment?

If file sharing was a clear & undisputed criminal act carrying prison sentences, there would be very few people on the street right now, and U tube (Google)would end up with TPB as a proxy ;)

By The visitor | 23 December 2012 4:30 AM