Personal healthcare fraud widespread, minister promises action

Monday 03 December 2012

The health ministry is to get tough on suspected fraud involving personal care budgets (pgb) which are used to help the elderly and handicapped remain living in their own homes.

RTL news has obtained a leaked report which states tens of millions of euros are being wrongly claimed and spent under the pgb system.

Now junior health minister Martin van Rijn is to stop cash payments altogether. In addition, the list of people eligible for a personal budget will be cleaned up and the ministry is to appoint 22 more full-time inspectors, Nos television reports.

RTL news reported at the weekend that government officials, fraud experts and the police have carried out an investigation into the pgb system. Their report uncovers a number of fake care companies that are submitting claims on behalf of people who know nothing about them.

Fake

The investigators also identified healthcare workers, including doctors and psychiatrists, making fake diagnoses to allow people to claim the cash.

At the moment only 5% of claims are checked for accuracy. Van Rijn wants to raise this to 20%.

The previous government had planned to abolish the pgb set-up for all but a few cases. Around 120,000 people currently claim financial help through the system.

It's nice that minister Martin van Rijn is cleaning up the system and adding more help to do so as I am sure that the folks that need it will still be getting their care.

By dee | 3 December 2012 11:55 AM

And who will check for accuracy those who check doctors for accuracy?

By rapid | 3 December 2012 12:22 PM

The higher up the chain, the higher the fraud..always! :(

By The visitor | 3 December 2012 12:43 PM

It would not surprise me if this will lead to a worsening of this provision, for everyone now entitled to it. I've seen this trick many times during my nearly 37 years in NL. Similar, quite drastic, and cruel measures are now underway in the UK.

By Husserl | 3 December 2012 5:39 PM

Doctors, clerks and officials are corrupted. They are the ones who let this happen. When I used to live in Amsterdam, I noticed an old woman who received house cleaning help from the care system once a week. But this same lady cleaned other old ladies homes 7/7 under the table. She did this before office hours so she wouldn't be detected. Residents all knew about it and didn't care if this lady was steeling tax payer's money, actually theyre own money. It's a populations' mentality issue.

By Felice | 4 December 2012 11:55 AM

I might add here that during January 2010, I was called up by my local council for an obligatory appointment with an MD, in conjunction with reintegration.

(Officially I have been medically downgraded since 2002)

Upon entering the doctor's practice, & after a formal handshake, I was left standing there at about 3 meters distance from him with my jacket still on, and not invited to sit down.

I explained about my problems, frozen shoulders & hips. I raised my right arm up & he heard the loud 'crack', then told me I was unfit & dismissed me..

Gee thanks!!