More than half Dutch men, almost half of women are overweight

Monday 03 December 2012

Some 54% of Dutch men and 43% of Dutch women are now overweight, according to new figures from the national statistics office CBS.

Men weigh an average of 84 kilos, and women 70 kilos, the CBS said. This is an increase of 5.6 kilos and 3.7 kilos on 20 years ago.

Over the same period, the average height of a Dutch man has gone up just over two centimetres to 1.81. Women are marginally taller at 1.68 metres.

The increase in weight is coupled with an increase in diabetes diagnoses. Some 4.7% of the population now suffers from diabetes, compared with 2.8% just 10 years ago, the CBS said.

Print-version
News archives

Readers' comments (21)

I was expecting a typical DutchNews-style prompt-question like: "Are you overweigh?" or "How much do you weight?" :)

By rapid | December 3, 2012 3:23 PM

When I first came to Holland I was weightier that most. I remarked on how the Dutch women kept their figures through riding bikes. Dress sizes were too small for me. This was 12 years ago and I felt very self conscious going into shops to find clothes to fit. In the last two years I have noticed more shops selling sizes that fit me! Whilst I am now losing weight - the Dutch women, it seems, are putting on weight.

By Lin Treadgold | December 3, 2012 4:16 PM

Its no surprise as less and less people are using the bike for short trips .The car is starting to rule in Holland.

By jason buttle | December 3, 2012 4:39 PM

Less biking and the same amount of fat filled pastries and treats, it's no wonder people are becoming overweight. I have a Dutch colleague living in the same street as I, and she takes her car to work everyday, and it's only 2.5km away! With the traffic, I often arrive before her.

By Sedirea | December 4, 2012 10:18 AM

Don't eat salty food, drink a lot of water, go by bike as often as possible, exercise 120minutes/week, don't eat after 20.00.

By kar | December 4, 2012 11:27 AM

It is nice to know that I weigh less than the average Dutch woman!

By Darren | December 4, 2012 1:02 PM

I'm not at all surprised considering the average lifestyle here.

The 'TV' might seem to the majority as being an innocent instrument of entertainment, but through subtle advertising, plays a major role in obesity.

There are so many food products & fast-food ads broadcast 24/7 that are unhealthy if consumed too often. This is fast becoming a worldwide problem, not just in NL.

Eugenically, GMO, fast-food (Aspartame, MSG & high fructose corn syrup), water fluoridation, chem trails adding poisons to our air & many modern drugs are increasing cancer, overweight leading to diabetes & Alzheimer rates.

The corporate & corruption in government are to blame, lucky we are not all sheeple ;)

By The visitor | December 4, 2012 2:54 PM

70kg for a woman is overweight?? Wow, what do we need to be, a size 0? If i plug in the average weight and average height mentioned in the article, i get a BMI of 24.8 which is still in the range of 'normal weight'! no wonder people get a complex all the time. Unless we all want to look like skinny sticks of course.
I for one have hardly seen any overweight dutch women (except for the older ones, 45+). Not very many young overweight women here! but then again I come from the south, maybe its different in the randstad...

By VC | December 4, 2012 4:08 PM

First time I was in Holland, several years ago, I did not see a single overweight person. Last year, I was surprised by seeing lots of overweight persons plus many fast food places, too!

By Julie | December 4, 2012 4:24 PM

Bike usare as a share of commutes has been mostly stable (increased in some areas, decreased in other).

The car share of commutes is also stable and has been for almost 20 years after declining a bit from their peak in the early 1980s.

By A.L. | December 4, 2012 8:40 PM

Since the late 1980s, I have seen the Dutch society drift away from local markets and family shops and toward the eating habits of the average American. With the evolution of grocery chain stores came more processed food, American fast-food chains are everywhere, etc. Cheap crappy foods and less exercise will destroy a culture.

By Kevin L. | December 5, 2012 1:08 AM

I was concerned that the usual 'blame the Americans' comment wasn't going to show up on here, so thanks Kevin for keeping the trend alive. Why have personal responsibility when you can blame others?

By DH | December 5, 2012 8:29 AM

Kevin, I fully agree. The strange thing is, in my recollection the Dutch always made fun of the Americans for eating quickly and eating trashy food and becoming fat. Now they do the exact same thing! I don't get it.

By mark | December 5, 2012 10:00 AM

@Kevin L. You can't blame American fast food restaurants for the obesity problem. Just look at traditional Dutch deep-fried snacks like bitterballen, frinkendellen, patat, kroketten, oliebollen that are available in kraams, cafes and grocery markets. I see Dutch folks walking around and eating this garbage food all of the time. The difference is not enough exercise. We have become a sedentary society by playing on computers and watching TV.

By M | December 5, 2012 10:31 AM

By M | December 5, 2012 10:31 AM

@Kevin: it is expensive to eat out healthy. Fortunately, we don't think women should stay home to cook. If obesity is the price to pay for women emancipation, so be it.

By A.L. | December 5, 2012 11:24 AM

@Kevin L.
Looking towards the USA will not solve the problem as the French are reported to face the same dilemma.

On either side of the pond we are no longer a society of brick layers and carpenters ,ditch diggers and hand farmers.

We have embraced technology which has us sitting for most of the day then come home to the TV or PC.

Losing weight is a simple calculation of burning more calories then you take in no matter what style food you eat.

Was not the Donut or fried bread not a Dutch invention and the pancake is not the best of food either.

As my Dutch friends do , why not leave out the prejudice .

By Lee from Florida | December 5, 2012 12:45 PM

I agree that 70kg for a woman is def a fair weight, not fat! Of course Dutchies will blame America.. but seriously, I weigh more in NL than I did in USA and I don't drive AT ALL. I bike or walk everywhere and I can't afford to eat out and we eat healthy! Did having 2 kids just destroy my metabolism or what? I try hard and see no results. Depressing and people are really prejudiced about women who aren't thin, it's a shame. When you cut me, I bleed, same as you.

By LJK | December 6, 2012 12:33 PM

Lee from Fla - after living inside Dutch society and culture for nearly 20 yrs, I can absolutely tell you that predjudice and discrimination are important and fundamental elements of this society. This is how the PVV became so enormously popular here. Please read the history of the Netherlands for more information on this subject, it is not a new development here.

By B | December 6, 2012 4:01 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if it's chemicals in the food. Cheaper and more chunk in products onder the vlag of "improved recipe". Some bodies can handle it better than others.

By Nadine Timmermans | December 6, 2012 8:52 PM

Chemicals in food MIGHT cause weight gain.
Most people are on medication(s). Look ate the side effects and weight gain is often one of them. Walk into a pharmacy and look ad the supplements! Do we really need them? How many pils do we consume for life style and pleasure? Are they safe??????????

By Kees | December 6, 2012 10:09 PM