More problems for Fyra high-speed service to Brussels

Thursday 13 December 2012

Screen%20shot%202012-12-06%20at%2010.57.13%20PM.png

The Hague city council is hoping MPs will on Thursday approve steps to restore direct links between the political capital of the Netherlands and Brussels.

Since the introduction of the high-speed service Fyra on December 9, there are no direct trains between The Hague and Brussels. In addition, the Fyra service has been beset with difficulties, including delays and cancellations, since it started.

‘It is incomprehensible that the international city of peace and justice has lost its direct links to Brussels,’ local transport chief Peter Smit told Nos television.

The city council is now looking into the option of setting up a new train service from The Hague to Brussels, via Delft and Dordrecht. ‘In January we will talk to various transport companies,’ Smit said.

Flexible

In particular, cross border workers have been hit by the loss of the old Benelux train service. In addition, the Fyra service is more expensive and seats have to be booked in advance.

The Belgian railway company NMBS is due to hold talks with the NS on Friday to discuss the technical problems with the Fyra service.

The NS claims two-thirds of international Fyra passengers have arrived with no more than 15 minutes delay but is unhappy about the service provided to the other 33%.

Students

In addition, Belgian students are considering taking legal action against the NS because discount cards only apply to Dutch students. The case is being brought by a Belgian student who travels to Delft for classes.

The Dutch parliament is due to discuss the introduction of the Fyra service on Thursday. Many MPs are unhappy with the situation and there are calls for the compulsory seat booking system to be scrapped.

Earlier stories
European MPs to get sharp discounts on Fyra high-speed service
The Hague makes urgent appeal to keep direct trains to Belgium
Train tickets to Belgium set to soar in price

Have you used the new Fyra service? Share your experiences using the comment box below.

Print-version
News archives

Readers' comments (17)

No I don't use it, it's unaffordable! If I had the money I would have taken the Thalys in the past instead of the intercity. But now the choice is between expensive (Thayls) and expensive (Fyra). And the Thalys doesn't stop in Den Haag anymore either. Now the only affordable way to get to Brussels is with Eurolines, but that means planning/booking in advance. Bring back th intercity!

By Sedirea | December 13, 2012 10:14 AM

I haven't used the Fyra service, but its introduction has made my regular trips to Antwerp so complicated that I have reverted to private transport.

By Harry Barrowclough | December 13, 2012 10:18 AM

Schedule a train from DH to meet the Frya in Rotterdam with a guaranteed connection and simplify that by only walking across the platform to meet it; and vice versa.

By Puck | December 13, 2012 11:13 AM

I took the Fyra from Rotterdam C. to Brussels. Left and reached perfectly on time. Fare would be expensive, had I not booked the ticket well in advance.

By Arif | December 13, 2012 11:45 AM

Why can the trains not be split in two at Rotterdam with half going to the Hague and half to Amsterdam? Is it because it's an Aldi (read cheap alternative) train? The whole situation is laughable.

By groverpm | December 13, 2012 12:29 PM

Fyra is selling for € 25 right now, for any trip the following day. Quite a bargain, cheaper than the former old slower train.

By A.L. | December 13, 2012 3:07 PM

I will be canceling my voordeeluren kaart because I only used it to go from Amsterdam to Belgium. I have the luxury of being able to plan my excursions so I can use Thalys and Eurolines. On principle I will absolutely avoid Fyra. I can actually say to hell with the NS entirely. I feel free!

By larry | December 13, 2012 3:26 PM

Doesn't 'markt werking' in the public transport sector work a treat! Especially in a monopoly!

By Chrisco | December 13, 2012 4:00 PM

It's such a stupid service. The route is so short that the time savings are minimal.

One of the great things was being able to hop onto an ordinary intercity train from one country to another. I've done this many times in combination with the Eurostar.

Now it all has to be prebooked! Ridiculous!

Will travel via air instead from now on!

By Chris | December 13, 2012 4:22 PM

we were booked on the Fyra from Brussels to Amsterdam this morning at 10:22. The 'hi-speed' train broke down in a tunnel just after Rotterdam. We spent over 1 hour sitting and waiting, sometimes in the complete dark, as they tried to "reset the engine". When this did not work the FYRA train was evacuated and we had to walk with our luggage along a narrow ledge in the tunnel to another train waiting outside the tunnel. We eventually arrived in Amsterdam over 2 hours late. Never again !

By david | December 13, 2012 4:38 PM

@Chris: the time saving on a Bruxelles-Amsterdam trip is 1h10 over what is not a 2h04 trip. It is quite impressive to reduce your total travel time from 3h24 to 2h04 if you ask me. Almost 33% travel time reduction!

By A.L. | December 13, 2012 6:28 PM

I commute for work from Amsterdam to Rotterdam every day, and I have monthly subscription for Fyra supplement. The train, both the old and the new, have problems almost every day. Trains get cancelled continuously, sometimes they simply break down on the way. It is still the quickest way to reach Rotterdam from Schiphol, but in 30% of the cases it is not working. With the new timetable there are also more delays than before.

By Piero | December 13, 2012 8:19 PM

Fancy a laugh? Go to 9292ov.nl and state that you wish to travel from Brussels to Roosendaal which ,of course,is on the route between the Belgian and Dutch capitals.It used to take around an hour.

By Edward Ka-Spel | December 13, 2012 10:40 PM

@Edward: so Roosendaal is not on the major route anymore. No big deal. It is like when they build a new highway and the old 2-lane road loses its relevance. Some places end worse off, but everybody else gains on travel time.

By A.L. | December 13, 2012 11:35 PM

The joke is that the fastest connection between the 2 Dutch capitals is 50 minutes on a good day. The Hague just fell off the map.

By phantom | December 14, 2012 9:37 AM

following the fancy a laugh from edward ka-spel and making a small typoI came on journey of 120km from brussels to Rosendaal (yes one O) in limburg.
I come to a travel time using Fyra of 3 hours & 46 minutes.
No other route is available. But if you use the Belgian equivilent of 9292ov
then the trip is very much shorter by more than 2 hours

is 9292ov biassed???

By nd | December 14, 2012 10:39 AM

@David I was also on that train that stopped working in the tunnel and was then evacuated-this service is a complete and utter joke. The day before I also was on the Frya to Brussels and this train also did not arrive. It made it to Breda, after which we took a bus to Antwerp then a train to Brussels. There's no point shortening a 2:40min trip to 1:40mins if the train does not arrive as that is pointless! Both trips took me well over 4+ hours of travelling!

By Sarah | December 14, 2012 12:47 PM