Jewellers told to avoid PostNL for delivery after packages vanish

Tuesday 04 December 2012

The Dutch jewellers and goldsmiths' federation has advised its members to stop using PostNL to deliver packages because so many disappear en route to their destination, the Telegraaf reports on Tuesday.

'We want to protect our members against situations which lead to a lot of problems and cost a lot of money,' the federation's director Beeuwke Keizer is quoted as saying. Both registered and non-registered parcels are affected, the federation says.

PostNL has denied the accusations, telling the Telegraaf the system makes it impossible for items to disappear.

Do you have problems with the post? Share your experiences using the comment box below.

Print-version
News archives

Readers' comments (38)

Post NL is the worse post service I have ever had to deal with.For then to say ''the system makes it impossible for items to disappear'' is an outrage.I have found parcels on my doorstep flung over my back fence left in the rain snow where they have no shel;ter....and theses are just the ones that do actaually make it to me.More than 10% of my parcels have gone missing this year and they make no effort at all to help you find them.They even go as far as to accuse you of stealing them yourself.

By jason buttle | December 4, 2012 8:31 AM

What the Dutch jewelers and goldsmith's federation said is true. I had several packages that were stolen, and when I filled in complaints they said they can do nothing about it. I lost a lot of money because of Post NL. It never happened with other postal services from the countries I lived in. It is just unacceptable. And finally someone denounce this in public.

By Expat | December 4, 2012 8:34 AM

We've given up having parcels sent from the UK because they disappear, only to turn up months later. As for deliveries of Private Eye magazine - a joke. But then, when you see the way posties leave their bikes unattended or parcels are stacked up in shops waiting collection, you can see easily how things vanish. Our dry cleaners now deals with the post.It has a large trolley in full access in the shop containing all your precious parcels for the taking. Crazy.

By Shirley | December 4, 2012 8:38 AM

"system makes it impossible for items to disappear" - Ha! This is an absolute joke. I *regularly* get my mail delivered to my neighbour. No idea why. Makes me think that the postmen in my area are dyslexic! No idea how to stop it. Never had this experience in other countries.

By Fed_Up_With_PostNL | December 4, 2012 8:47 AM

Registered letters are only one of their additional problems. In addition to taking ages until they arrive (twice as as long as another letter from an EU country), and then they turn up in my mailbox which does not even have my name on it instead of at my door and with me signing for it...grrrr....

By SKS | December 4, 2012 8:47 AM

Indeed as a jeweller my wife has this experience.
You sell a customer a watch that has to be returned to the manufacturer under warrantee and it gets lost. Having to track or guarantee every shipment is not workable on basis of cost and time.
Certainly the manufacturers do not indemnify the costs of the incompetence of Post NL.
Customers will not pay for this incompetence.
Who then?
Loss in post of a clients prized possession is traumatic on all fronts.
Any idiot knows that a thick package addressed to a jeweller is worth stealing. look at the pay reductions in the post and ask why this happens

By nd | December 4, 2012 9:15 AM

Shirley is totally right. Seeing people's mail treated so carelessly is sobering. We now have to rely on whichever neighbour this week has the job of receiving boxes of mail and delivering them when they please, keeping them piled up at home in the meantime. I worked in a bar that regularly would get its mail after 10pm! At least I've only lost one Private Eye, thus far. But it's an unacceptably shoddy arrangement here now in NL.

By Darren | December 4, 2012 9:53 AM

My friend used to work for the distribution center for Post NL, where the packages first arrive. They had people inspecting them. There were several times when illegal substances were found, but only half of it made its' way to the proper authorities.

By maria | December 4, 2012 10:13 AM

Funny, I hardly ever have problems with packages, they always make it to me, or the person I send to, just fine. The one time a package did disapppear, I just had to give PostNL the reciepts for the items inside and they paid me full compensation within 6 weeks, and the people I had on the phone were very kind.

By Sedirea | December 4, 2012 10:13 AM

Of course the computer system doesn't make the parcels disapear, what need do the bots have for material possesions? I think you will find it is human hands that do the stealing.

By Dr Ponzi | December 4, 2012 10:32 AM

I see the postman delivering post on the Prinsengracht in Amsterdam... They leave the trolly full of letters and small packets on the bridge unattended and then walk to the houses with the letters in their hands. Free parcels on the bridge for everybody!

And i would like to echo the sentiments and frustrations of people who have found their post with some random stranger who just happens to live in the same neigbourhood...

By Geuzen76 | December 4, 2012 11:36 AM

And then there is this practice of not leaving notes to tell you that the parcel has been left at another location for you to collect it. So your parcel just sits there uncollected and then sent back because the postman can't be arsed to go back to the truck and fill out a form...

By Geuzen76 | December 4, 2012 11:39 AM

The other week i wanted to purchase a book from an antiquarian bookshop in Utrecht. The choice was to have it posted to Amsterdam at a cost of 5euro or spend 10euro and an afternoon on the train and pick it up in person. I sensibly chose the latter as i could then guantee it's arrival to my house.

By Geuzen76 | December 4, 2012 11:43 AM

I had terrible constant problems with Post NL when I lived in Loosdrecht. Parcels vanished repeatedly, although a few turned up on my doorstep after I asked senders to complain (as the only way Post NL will listen is if the sender complains - they were disinterested in my complaints about missing post or post being left in front of my house out in the open). We were forced to ask relatives to stop sending things by post and cancel UK magazine subscriptions that never arrived. When I moved to central Hilversum these problems stopped entirely. Clearly it was the delivery person, but my regular complaints alerted no concerns

By Scotsgirl | December 4, 2012 12:03 PM

On two occasions I had parcels delivered more than 3 months after they were mailed. In one case, the parcel was important medical records. We returned a letter delivered to us that had an address not remotely similar 3 times, and it was re-delivered to us 3 times.

By Ronald Roberson | December 4, 2012 12:55 PM

If I send anything by registered mail I can wait months watching online the status as between TNT distribution in the Netherlands and the distribution in Poland. I stopped having these problems when I started sending my letters by normal post;o)

By Jerry | December 4, 2012 1:08 PM

Unfortunately the problem here is the same as in many other services and in other countries. The hiring of cheap labour with a much lower moral code than nationals. I really hate 'migrant-bashing' but this is what statistics show, when they dare show them.

By manuel | December 4, 2012 2:10 PM

I have many occasion to telephone the postal company PostNL and complain that my post is left at a location which is not the address on th eitem, my address. I receive a post card of apology and yet within a short time i find that the mail is still being delivered elsewhere.
I do not know what i have not received and do not trust this company now to do the job for which they have been paid. Worst postal service i have ever come across.

By bw | December 4, 2012 2:32 PM

I absolutely agree.Post nl has been the worst postal service I have ever experienced,lost packages,not satisfactory compensation and very bad service.I wish the company closes down and becomes replaced by something more decent.At the moment dhl makes a fortune out of me as I cannot trust post nl.

By Eleni | December 4, 2012 3:24 PM

Use someone instead of PostNL - vote with your feet. There are loads of other good couriers who do deliver your parcels intact and ontime including fedex among others.

By Sir Charles Moore | December 4, 2012 4:01 PM

They even go as far as to accuse you of stealing them yourself,
Or when you do make a complaint about nonm arrival,
they will tell you they know your parcel has been delivered to the correct adress, as their driver remembered delivering it there 6 or 7 weeks before,
however they had no answer when I said that if that was the case then the driver would have no problem describing the parcel & the person who he left it with.

By Rupert | December 4, 2012 4:01 PM

For more than 6 months most of my mail was either not being delivered to me or being sent back to sender. My bank account being frozen and having to confirm I still lived at my address brought the problem to my attention. No official apology or reason given by Post NL. Seemingly the sender has to make the complaint to them. What struck me was their arrogance every time I called or emailed I was told same story problem sorted. It took them 5 weeks for normal delivery again.The cause being downstairs flat was being renevated Post NL employee didn't know the flat upstairs was separate. Different house numbers on doors obviously meant nothing to her!

By Suz | December 4, 2012 5:16 PM

PostNL is doing such a terrible job this year. I sent out a parcel and it was lost. I filed a complain and it took weeks till they tell me there's nothing they can do about it. Isn't there suppose to be some kind of tracking system? Why else would you give me a code to track the parcel in the first place? How can it get lost so easily???

I sent an important letter and it was never received. A month later it was returned to me, saying the addressee moved. How is that possible??? The receiver was waiting day after day.

People sent me letters and I never got it. I had to request for it again!

By XYZ | December 4, 2012 5:17 PM

This is part of the large price that the population pays for liberalisation of Government utilities that are placed into private hands for profit.

By Xeno | December 4, 2012 6:08 PM

I paid (a disproportionate amount of money) for my post to be redirected from The Netherlands to Spain. 1/2 of it still turned up at my Dutch address. I complained. I received a letter of apology. 3 months later 1/2 of my post was still not being redirected. PostNL apologised again saying they couldn't understand how this could have gone wrong. But they did refund me in full. Still, not helpful for when I need to spend extended periods away.

By Postman Pat | December 4, 2012 6:08 PM

The only problem I have with Post NL is Regularly recieving all my neighbours mail.

By Donaugh | December 4, 2012 8:19 PM

It seems that living in a quiet village does the trick: I always receive my post, but relatives who live in busier places have tons of problems.

There's one thing that should be changed immediately, as that's so easy. Now, according to the law, the receiver has no business with the sending service, only the sender has. If that got changed so that both the receiver AND the sender would have business with the sending service, the receiver would have some more power when something gets lost again, rather than having to let the sender do everything.

By Someone | December 4, 2012 9:21 PM

This is nothing new. A friend of mine had to close his mail order business a few years ago because his mail was being stolen and tampered with. Some of his customers occasionally sent cash, so this was the motive. The evidence was crystal clear someone was keeping his mail and going through it for the cash, but even involving the police, the postal service talked their way out of it. I would never send anything of value by normal post ever again.

By Anne Onymous | December 5, 2012 12:20 AM

International parcels are now handles by a shifting chain of subcontractors. My trouble was mail sent from NL to Portugal. my work was stopped for months as the needed spares went missing; I finally found out Post NL hands it to a subcontractor who is unable to actually deliver.
But they do it for less.

By Mark Holden | December 5, 2012 12:27 AM

Am I the only one out there who sees how many hundreds of unfaniliar part-time help is handling & delivering mail for PostNL? Since they screwed most of their full-timers in 2011 and swithced to part-time to save money, anyone with a bicycle who can lift the 25 kg sack they use for a 'can you lift the post bag test' gets the job. In any case, there's a whole line of handling that allows for potential theft. Nobody runs background checks on potential employees...and nobody is watching the postbezorgers.

By Kevin L. | December 5, 2012 12:59 AM

Bring back the PTT. Ever since privatisation the post in the Netherlands has gone downhill. This year they stopped Monday deliveries which came as news to me since I thought that had stopped years before not having received mail on a Monday for years. And don't get me started on the number of packages that have failed to turn up.

By groverpm | December 5, 2012 7:49 AM

@Kevin L. PostNL employees are required to provide a letter of good behaviour in order to work for the company. If you have a criminal record, it's not possible to get that letter.
@groverpm - You might be surprised to find that Monday post hasn't stopped. MP's refused to change the postwet, and thus PostNL is required by law to deliver on a Monday. However, since business post from a Friday is delivered on Saturday, the volume of post on a Monday is extremely low.

By Mike | December 5, 2012 8:56 AM

Actually Kevin you are quite wrong about nobody doing background checks on potential employees I had to have a background check done in order to work for the post. Whilst I understand peoples frustration over undelivered or wrongly delivered mail. Most postbezorgers care about their job and want to do it well despite being paid peanuts. In my experience most postbezorgers never get credit for a job well done, customers only complain when something goes wrong. Postbezorgers are doing a difficult job under poor conditions.

By Simplastic | December 5, 2012 9:07 AM

I've learned my lesson... I never send anything valuable or important through the PostNL mail.

By Quince | December 5, 2012 10:18 AM

My registered letter to India posted in June 12 is not yet delivered. Thanks to PostNL

By Sanat Jain | December 5, 2012 3:36 PM

Here in the UK, parcels from Holland are handled by Yodel, just about the most inept, incompetent, customer-unfriendly company you could imagine. They've lost our parcels from Holland more than once. We've told our Dutch friends not to send us parcels any more.

By Andy Wood | December 5, 2012 8:15 PM

My best PostNL story.. I sold $200 worth of baby clothes to a friend.. package disappeared. It took 6 mos to get money from the company (wasn't PostNL back then though). I was able to give the lady her money back at least. 3 years later, the package arrived. *bravo*

By LJK | December 6, 2012 11:46 AM

I've never had any problems. Only when the package is sent by a courier service instead of NL. Yes THAN I find my package in the garden (without any notification) PostNL has never lost anything from me and when I'm not at home they leave a note.
Never a problem. Be sure it's POSTNL you are pissy at, a lot of companies use courier services and people think its PostNL

By Minnie | December 6, 2012 2:46 PM