Hidden extras still added to holiday and travel ticket prices

Friday 21 December 2012

Travel companies are still publishing misleading prices for holidays and plane trips on their websites, the consumers' association Consumentenbond said on Friday.

The association looked at 60 websites offering flights, bus trips and holiday houses and found every one included extras in the final bill, such as ‘cleaning costs’ and ‘customer service taxes’.

In half the cases 'reservation costs' were not made clear and on 16 sites, cancellation insurance was automatically included as an extra. On some sites, payments can only be made by credit card and this also costs extra, the association said.

The biggest hidden fee was an 'unheard of' €59 customer service charge' levied by the World Ticket Centre, the association's director Bart Combée told the Volkskrant.

The travel industry pledged two years ago to move away from this sort of practice, Nos television said. The association has now opened a hotline where consumers can report hidden charges.

Share your experiences using the comment form below.

well this ain't news,it is happening all over the world,phone operators,internet providers,holiday companies,electronics nearly everything.

By el lungo | 21 December 2012 10:43 AM

This is deffinitely true. All charges should be made clear before purchase so you can easily compare between vendors. even vliegtickets.nl has a 20 service cost. this should be included in the ticket price on the front page of the website/ in the advertised price.

By Sarah | 21 December 2012 12:18 PM

can anybody tell me what is the Dutch name for 'consumers' association consumentenbond' and their website? I had very bad experience with a company. I heard many many persons had similar experience as me with this company. So I am looking for some organisation in the Netherland, which can take care of consumer's rights. Thanks.

By Pone | 21 December 2012 12:53 PM

@pone
Check here:

By Kaaskop | 21 December 2012 6:43 PM

Me too, I've had very bad experiences with MANY Dutch companies, so I want to get help. What is their website?
Things seems so unregulated in NL, even real estate agents - anyone can set themselves up as a real estate agent and then go bankrupt having spent all the tenants' deposits.

By Steve | 22 December 2012 9:29 AM

I have never paid more than the specified service costs to book a flight. (€30 last March through D- Reisen.) I have in the past landed in Manila several times without booking an hotel. My method is giving a generous tip to poorly paid taxi drivers, they have an abundance of info!

If you book directly with the airline company instead of though a travel agency, it's less expensive. :)

By The visitor | 23 December 2012 1:58 PM