Firework complaints reach 50,000

Monday 31 December 2012

The firework nuisance hotline set up by political party GroenLinks had received 50,000 complaints by Monday morning.

The party, which wants a ban on consumer fireworks, set up the hotline a week ago. By law, fireworks may only be lit between 10.00 hours on December 31 and 02.00 on January 1.

The police have also been busy dealing with firework-related nuisance, RTL news reported. So far they have seized 73,000 kilos of illegal fireworks, down considerably on last year.

Illegal fireworks

In Roermond at the weekend, police seized 600 kilos of illegal fireworks and in Goes a further 60 kilos. In total five people were arrested.

In Friesland several people have been fined for setting off fireworks too early and in Leeuwarden a number of letter boxes by a block of flats have been blown up.

In Drachten, a number of windows were broken after a rocket flew into a seventh-floor flat and exploded.

Some say the year will end in Fire
Others say in desire
I hold with those who favour Fire.

By Terence Hale | 31 December 2012 1:43 PM

'And so suddenly this year an obsession with articles on fireworks?

What's next, coffee shops again?

By The visitor | 31 December 2012 4:14 PM

The government cannot ban fireworks fast enough for me. I am so sick of exploding rockets hitting my windows and my pets and children being scared to death. Sadly, I actually enjoy watching fireworks - in a regulated safe contained area where they are set off by professionals.

By Z | 31 December 2012 6:37 PM

Sigh... with the same success one could have set a complaint hotline in Rotterdam during the WWII bombings...

By George | 31 December 2012 7:13 PM

I agree with Z - I really love organised firework displays, but it's their random and indiscriminate use outside the legal hours which traumatizes animals and young children alike which concerns me. As a nation, the Dutch are quick to chastise those who don't obey the general social niceties, so why then this apathy towards or indulgence of individuals who flagrantly discharge fireworks outside the regulated hours?

By Juvenal | 1 January 2013 12:45 PM

In the context of general public safety, I don't think it is sensible to allow the personal use of fireworks on the same night that most of us have a few too many drinks. Drinking stoned people, many of the them adolescent young boys, setting off heavy duty fireworks, and thousands of people including small children out in the streets with these rockets and bombs exploding all around them. How is that a good idea?

By Jen | 2 January 2013 5:32 AM

I agree: ban the fireworks for private sale. I am fed up with people telling me its a tradition when every year people are injured by mindless indiscriminate idiots who think its fun to throw fireworks at people or selfishly let them off outside legal hours. It's OK though right, its a tradition so why should I care? Oh grow up and organize a public display. Much more enjoyable and safer for everyone.

By mctoot | 2 January 2013 12:20 PM

I wish the dutchies will finally ban the fireworks sale to everyone. It lost all it's magic here with screamy, masked young boys going around and making riots. My cat has to be on calming pills to survive this time which is 1 day before 31 and then 1 or more days extra if fireworks owners still got leftovers. I hate Den Haag on New Year but cannot leave my cat alone...

By Joanna | 2 January 2013 1:29 PM