Supermarket association wants to scrap Sunday pay rates

Friday 09 November 2012

The extra pay for supermarket staff who work on Sundays should be scrapped, supermarket owners' association Vakcentrum Detailhandel said on Friday.

'We live in a 24-hour economy. Sunday is no longer an exception... so it is only reasonable that workers no longer get extra pay,' a spokeswoman told BNR radio.

Extra pay for Sunday working is not guaranteed in law but is enshrined in retail sector pay and conditions agreements.

Parliament has agreed that local councils can decide whether or not shops should be able to open on Sundays, clearing the way for an increase in Sunday shopping in rural areas.

Do you agree? Have your say using the comment box below.

Ahold made a BILLION euro profit this year (source Wikipedia). Are those poor 15 year olds not worth those extra euro then?

By Stefan | 9 November 2012 12:37 PM

WOW! Supermarket staff get paid more on Sundays?! WTF?! Now I can start understand some of the resistance from shop owners to be allowed to be open on Sunday. I had no idea staff got paid more on Sundays. YES this needs to be scrapped, especially to reduce the burdon on these companies pay-rolls, if they are to be open to compete on Sunday.
ITS 2012 PEOPLE, EVERY SUNDAY IS NOT A HOLIDAY! STOP TREATING IT LIKE ONE!

By Broseph | 9 November 2012 2:57 PM

Sunday is still a special day and people should be properly compensated if they worked on Sunday whether thru pay or time off. It may however not be in the extend of 2 times the normal pay.

By ufo | 9 November 2012 3:20 PM

I think they should tackle Bank Holidays, shift work and Christmas at the same time - if you have no expectations, you cannot be disappointed . . .

By Peter | 9 November 2012 3:43 PM

As long as there is a fair rotation of days worked there should be no difference in pay for Sunday work.

By Peter Altman | 9 November 2012 3:50 PM

Working at a grocery store in the US through high school and college years, I earned 1.5x on Sundays and 2.5x on holidays. It was in our union contract that all staff no matter their age received the same differential top-ups: late/early hours, sundays, and holidays for working outside the traditional working hours.

By 010-2005 | 9 November 2012 4:13 PM

Many people CHOOSE to work SUNDAYS for the extra income, to COMPENSATE their LOUSY basic SLAVE wages!

Whether or not supermarkets continue to pay compensation for Sunday or not, they will keep overcharging us all as usual, guv will not intervene :P

@Broseph: There are 5 working days to a week still: in the past I did loads of shift work & weekends to help my family more.)

By The visitor | 9 November 2012 4:24 PM

I love a decisive spokeswoman. Let's all call her on a Sunday

By T van den Berg | 9 November 2012 4:28 PM

Sunday is a 24h-long day as any other. I see no reason of why Sunday work should be compensated with higher wages. Makes no sense whatsoever.

I might understand the rationale of extra night pay due to biological impacts of being awake at night and sleep during daytime, I might even concede extra pay for shift-based schedule, but just because it is Sunday? No way.

By Andre L. | 9 November 2012 5:14 PM

@ufo - Why is Sunday a special day? To most of this secular country it is not, and for many non-Christians it is not also. Let individuals and business decide if they want to work and be open on Sundays -- not governments or one specific religion. I am tired of being denied the ability to buy food on Sundays because one religous group is selfish about it being a special day in some way.

By Quest | 9 November 2012 6:33 PM

In South Africa all workers earning below a set minimum is entitled to 1.5 times daily pay on a Saturday and 2 times daily pay on a Sunday. Using the analogy of a 24-hour economy seems rather exploitative! Are people here not entitled to a break? I'm sure if people get the break or the compensation that they deserve they will perform better and their interests will be aligned with the stores they work for. Everything in life is not about money you know!

By waynes83 | 9 November 2012 7:54 PM

I agree with ufo ... Sundays are still a special day and people should get compensated for it if they have to work. I still don't see why the need for places to be open on Sunday. I think shop owners should also have a day off to be with family.

By dee | 9 November 2012 8:17 PM

For me, structural Sunday working is something that should be led by example. Once Dick Boer and Jeff Carr structurally go in to the office and work onus days, I inspect that the poor 15 year olds on 3.50 per hou my well follow. Taking the lead, setting an example is an asset no always exhibited by senior management.

By Stewart | 9 November 2012 10:28 PM

First they demand unrealistic discounts from suppliers now they scrap the overtime rate for working a Sunday?! Working a Sunday is overtime and should be paid accordingly.

By @CluthaDubh | 10 November 2012 10:00 AM

If somebody works overtime they should be compensated but more per hour based on a Sunday? This is based on some religious ideal as a special day and it isn't!

By M | 10 November 2012 10:17 AM

These people make billions of euros and they don't want to pay people extra to help them profit even more? I guess they just want slaves then.

By Patty | 10 November 2012 10:20 AM

Sundays are no more special than other days so I cannot see why someone should get paid more to work on these days.

By A Nonny Mouse | 10 November 2012 10:58 AM

No I do not agree with it. If you all want to shop on Sunday, then pay for it and stopping whining.
Do you want to work on your Sunday - the day almost all your friends and family are free to spend valuable time with - for your normal weekly wage? Of course not. So stop whining and pay. Or alternatively close the stores on Sundays. This is not rocket science.
Exploiting people that are in desperate need of work (on Sundays) is disgusting. Treat others as you want to be treated, give it a try.

By Bill | 10 November 2012 11:58 AM

@ Broseph. Given that most people here don't like working outside office hours
(9-5, Mon-Fri), I think yes they should get more.
PS, double time for a 15yr old on €3 per hour is only €6.
How much profit do Albert Hein need that they now want to cut the "pocket money" they give their teenage employees?

By Donaugh | 10 November 2012 1:13 PM

Supermarkets have enough staff to rotate shifts around to cover sundays, the staff should only be paid extra if it is classed as overtime pay, i.e. they worked their regular shift during the week, and have to work sundays as extra, then they can get overtime pay, but they shouldn't just get paid extra because it is a sunday.

By Martin Treadgold | 11 November 2012 6:07 PM

ufo: You're the first person I've seen even consider the people that actually have to work on those extra days. Most people (e.g., Broseph) only think of THEMSELVES and how THEY want THEIR shops to be open at THEIR convenience. Selfish, entitled society these days, eh?

By Stupid | 11 November 2012 6:57 PM

I never cease to be amazed by those ordinary people who defend large company turnovers, at the expense of the 'working man' (or working teenager, in the case of Dutch supermarkets). A 'burdon'[sic] on company payrolls? Oh please.... supermarkets do fantastic business on Sundays, the kassa-queues are horrendous. These kids work twice as hard, and give up one of their two free days (everyone needs rest!) so deserve the compensation. Is it hurting the supermarkets to provide the extra couple euros per hour? Obviously not, in fact they're making major turnover, or they simply wouldn't be doing it.

Why are they complaining now? One answer: Pure Greed.

By osita | 11 November 2012 7:42 PM

@Broseph: I hope you are being sarcastic

By kakos | 12 November 2012 6:00 AM

Supermarket association? What association? In the Holland provinces there is a monopoly: Albert Heijn. AH absorbs all the other brands, who does it need to associate with?! Who is banning the French chains from opening stores in this country?

By phantom | 12 November 2012 8:42 AM

I do not agree with cutting extra Sunday pay. Very often those working on Sunday's do not get 2 free days in a row, so they are not getting their rest or time to spend with their families.

I'm not sure Sunday opening gives a shop more turnover. In the case of a supermarket, a person can only eat what they can eat in 7 seven days - surely they just "spread" what they purchase and they don't actually purchase more..... At least that's how it works for me. I only purchase what I can consume.

By Maria | 12 November 2012 9:13 AM

Leaving the religous issue aside for a monent -- can we do that, do you think? -, Sunday is part of what modern society calls a 'weekend'. Ya know, that period in whcih we mere mortals tend to get two days off to spend that money we work so hard for? NOw, as an atheist, I absolutely support Sunday opening hours in shops, and have no issue with that at all, BUT, you must compensate the people working sundays until such a time that modern civilization deems sundays to no longer be part of our cherished 'weekend. That is all.

By Fred | 12 November 2012 11:20 AM

Shops have to be open at least six days of the week, within reasonable working hours (not until 18.00 am which makes life a disaster for the working class) and shops opening on Sunday should take the burden of paying some overtime to their workers..

By Sensible sensai | 12 November 2012 2:04 PM

@ Broseph, We are all nominaly christian countries, therefore wage agreements have traditionaly been based on Sunday being a day of rest.
When I finished school in 1974 & started work the wage structure was this. Overtime from Mon to Fri was +25%, Sat am was +50%, Sat pm & Sun was +100%.
I don't see why those who work Sun shouldn't get the extra pay.

By Donaugh | 12 November 2012 4:22 PM

Why the whining from the `Supermarket assoc`
This should be addressed at the bargaining table with the unions, rather than in public.

By H.Sanou | 12 November 2012 7:52 PM

@phantom: nobody restricts the ability of Casino or Carrefour opening shop in Netherlands. However, grocery retail business is extremely cut-throat competition, you don't stand a chance if you don't start big, and Carrefour usually manages larger stores selling other items on top of groceries, which have a tougher time in Netherlands due to people biking to shops.

By A. L. | 12 November 2012 8:51 PM