Pc and laptop sales down by 33%

Tuesday 13 November 2012

Sales of pcs and laptops fell 33% in the Netherlands in the third quarter of this year, website nu.nl reports, quoting figures from the Gartner group.

In total, 655,000 pcs and laptops were bought in July, August and September, down by a third on the year-earlier period.

Historical trends show sales are always up in the third quarter, possibly because it is the beginning of the school and academic year.

Sales were down across all manufacturers. HP was hardest hit with sales down by almost 53%. Acer has now overtaken HP as Dutch market leader, nu.nl said.

The launch of Microsoft’s Windows 8 on October 28 may also have depressed third-quarter sales as consumers await the new product, the website said.

Are you planning to buy a new computer or laptop? Share your thoughts using the comment box below.

Print-version
News archives

Readers' comments (11)

No I am not planning on buying anything unless it breaks down and I have to buy new.

By dee | November 13, 2012 3:29 PM

I've been planning to replace our ageing home machine (5+ yrs old?), but with the current lack of certainty in the tax burden I'll enjoy next year, and the need to spend it on other items (food, childcare, mortgage), It'll probably wait quite a while longer.

TL;DR: was planning, probably won't for a while.

By H. | November 13, 2012 4:01 PM

PCs are a quarter what they were a few years ago and a 1/6 of what they were ten years ago. My first laptop cost 4000 NLG (€2000!!). You can now get a very nice netbook for €350. And the specs on these new models blow the old models out of the water. It's all part of progress... same can be said for printers, scanners, cameras....

By Michael | November 13, 2012 4:21 PM

Yes, I'm planning to buy a new laptop, but only once the current one -7 years old- stops working! Having up to date technology is nice (but I really dislike Windows 8) I don't believe in buying new things just for the heck of it.

By Sedirea | November 13, 2012 5:49 PM

No new advancements made in computers. Buy a fast PC 2nd hand through the net for less than €200. ;)

By The visitor | November 13, 2012 11:03 PM

I'm not spending anything (which of course also means: no new computer/laptop), with the way things are going. The economy won't see a single cent from me, besides the essentials (food, gas, etc). I'll wait it out for better times.

Fortunately, about half a year ago, I got a great deal on an excellent used PC: surprisingly cheap, still fairly new, still incredible specs, and absolutely 0 problems (I was sceptical at first since it was so cheap, but I took the gamble and won). So even if economic times were better, I'd have no use in buying a new PC.

By Someone | November 14, 2012 3:09 AM

The average PC of 3 years old is way more than fast enough for 95% of users needs.
Why replace your Lamborghini with a Ferrari if all you do is to sit in traffic all day.

By nd | November 14, 2012 8:47 AM

That's because it's cheaper to fly to the UK buy a laptop and fly back again than it is to buy the same spec one here most of the time!

By Alistair Wiseman | November 14, 2012 10:53 AM

By Alistair Wiseman | November 14, 2012 10:53 AM

i won't buy a pc/laptob at all. both are outdated tech toys.

i will consider an iPad 4th generation though. it is an Apple anyway.

By dork | November 14, 2012 7:33 PM

@dork, you do know that an iPad needs to be activated on a computer?

By pepe | November 16, 2012 10:01 AM