Prince Friso, nine months in a coma, shows signs of awareness

Monday 19 November 2012

Prince Friso, who has been in a coma since a skiing accident in February, is showing ‘signs of limited awareness,’ the state information service RVD said on Monday.

'Prince Friso has recently begun to show signs of limited awareness; a state commonly known as minimal consciousness,' the statement said.

Nevertheless, 'the prognosis continues to be very uncertain and the medical team remains gravely concerned. It will take many months to get more clarity,' the statement said.

In September, archbishop Desmond Tutu told a television show Friso's wife Mabel had told him the prince moved slightly when she kissed him. The RVD declined to comment at the time.

Mabel used to work with the archbishop through think-tank The Elders.

London

Friso is being treated at the specialist Wellington hospital in London where he was moved two weeks after his accident.

Queen Beatrix' second son has severe brain damage after spending at least 25 minutes under snow after being hit by an avalanche in the Austrian resort of Lech while out skiing with a friend in February.

The royal family and princess Mabel also issued a statement through the RVD praising the media for the restraint shown since the accident and requesting the media to continue respecting their privacy.

'This is the most challenging period of my life. My love for Friso, the support of family and friends, and the many signs of compassion give me strength in these difficult times,' Mabel said.

Your thoughts? Use the comment box below.

I truly hope he wakes up and life for him and his family goes on in some way.

By best wishes | 19 November 2012 2:25 PM

Interesting how the royal family has kept him in a private clinic in a foreign country...maybe something to do with the fact that in NL someone would have pulled the plug long long time ago?

By Pablok | 19 November 2012 2:32 PM

I hope Prins Friso continues to progress. A tough time for friends and family as well and I really hope Friso's improvement leads to an eventual positive outcome.

By Henk Luf | 19 November 2012 3:34 PM

As an American with much Dutch Ancestry my thoughts and prayers are with the entire family. LANG LEVE HET HUIS VAN ORAGJE

By Howard de Barefield | 19 November 2012 3:36 PM

Our prayers are always ON for Prince Friso to get well soon.

By Raj | 19 November 2012 3:46 PM

Sorry no disrespect but if we are asked to respect their privacy why is there an article being written on the topic? If this were ANY other family (except perhaps a Holleywood star it would have gone completely unnoticed. This happens and people know the risk when they go skiing.

By Michael | 19 November 2012 4:05 PM

I am happy to hear that Prince Friso is ‘signs of limited awareness’ I also praise the media for giving the family their privacy. I for on am keeping him and his family in my prayers.

By dee | 19 November 2012 4:21 PM

It is extremely sad that this should have happened. I hope his suffering brings more awareness of others who find themselves in the same plight.

I wish everyone involved in such heart rending situations peace and contentment.

By Gemma | 19 November 2012 4:30 PM

'Just needs that kiss from the prince.' :D

By The visitor | 19 November 2012 4:36 PM

I pray the almighty for his quick recovary and hope he could come soon to his normal life.My deep sympathty goes to the family bearing such a devastating moment of life and would say "god see but waits".God bless you all.

By someone | 19 November 2012 5:33 PM

Very Sad.. We pray that you return to the Royal Family and The Netherlands safe and sound Prince Friso..

By Daniel Bee | 19 November 2012 6:14 PM

Royals, in any country, have the terrible job of being a bigger than lifesize version of all of us humans in good times and bad times. This is, after all, is a story about a fellow human being. We should all hope for the best outcome. What if it was your husband, brother, father or friend?

By Susan | 19 November 2012 7:00 PM

what a shit. Because he is a prince..bla bla bla every body hopes he will be okay. Our daughter has the same ane after 1 year the docters in that shit country called Holland, just said that there is no more money and they stopped there threatment.

By antonius_123 | 19 November 2012 7:39 PM

Wishing the BEST that is possible!

By Peter Terpstra | 19 November 2012 8:00 PM

@Pablock, I think the family would have preferred him to be in Holland, however, no clinic here will accept severely brain-damaged people over 25 years of age, because the chances of recovering above that age, they say, are virtually nil. Hence, he is in the UK. Now he will be kept alive whether he likes it or not. Very, very sad for all involved. If it were me, I would prefer that someone pulled the plug and donated my organs to others that are desperate for a gift for life.

By jaycee | 19 November 2012 8:38 PM

My prayers go out to Prince Friso and the entire Royal family.
Best wishes for his recovery,
Linda

By Linda Atamian | 19 November 2012 8:57 PM

I join with others in my prayers and best wishes for the Prince's full recovery.
However, in the British National Health Service we have something called "The Liverpool Care Pathway" - a system where the dying are sedated and thirsted to death. As a part time clergyman, I have attended patients receiving this Sonderbehandlung. So, if you are very critically ill, come as a private patient!

By Edward Spalton | 19 November 2012 9:19 PM

Yes, Pablok. For those not born into the royal family they would have probably administered high doses of morphine as the standard protocol, and then they would have said that the family was lucky that they did this without consent. I have witnessed 3 attempts at this personally in the Netherlands -- 2 were successful from their point of view. It's a hard fight to get them to actually try to save someones life unless they deem it important enough, and sadly, that precludes most of the general population. It's high time medical providers are held accountable in this country, and *not* policed by their own (as currently done). Medical negligence and apathy should be prosecuted more here.

By Quest | 20 November 2012 2:39 AM

Our Dearest Prins Friso.

GROETJES van SYDNEY Australia!

May Jesus Shine and Smile on You and your lief Moeder. We will Proost a Jenever with your recovery!

Lang Leve Het Huis van Oranje!

By Johanna & Cecilia. | 20 November 2012 4:01 AM

'For I will restore health to you and heal you of your wounds,' says the Lord. - Jeremiah 30:17
God bless Prince Friso & his family. May he recover soon.

By Kate | 20 November 2012 6:30 AM

@ Pablok. The Prince lives in London so it is only sensible that he would be treated where his children are used to going to school. Plus, the hospital in which he is staying is very well equipped to help him.

By Darren | 20 November 2012 8:54 AM

@Darren, Although it makes sense that he is in London because of his wife and children, he had no chance to stay in Holland. Holland has ZERO facilities for adult coma patients. There is only one facility in The Netherlands for coma patients and it only takes patients under the age of 25. I'll leave it to you to figure out what happens to the adults who can not afford care in other countries.

By Quest | 20 November 2012 1:41 PM

I agree with Quest. If anyone else had sustained this injury, he would not be alive today. Killed at the hands of Dutch doctors. Just another "het is niet mogelijk" -- the favorite phrase of the Dutch.

By tulipgiirl | 25 November 2012 7:02 AM

My thoughts are with the family during this difficult period and I hope that Friso will wake up and be fully functional again.

By Joyce Gibson | 20 January 2013 8:03 PM

This is a sad situation but....he is a prince why would he even need a facility to keep him long term. He lives in a castle with servants and all the help he would need and more. I am sure they could afford to have him stay at home.

By colleen | 29 January 2013 2:42 AM

@Quest. I fully understand what you mean. I was in an unusually good mood when I wrote that and thus refrained from criticizing the Dutch Health "care" system. You can't even get a decent eye test here.

By Darren | 29 January 2013 9:26 AM

Maybe colleen, you should watch less Disney movies. He lived in London with his family and he worked at URENCO, because working is the only way he would get an income, since in the Netherlands being the brother of the heir to the throne doesn't give you the right to a state income.

By pepe | 29 January 2013 10:53 AM

Oh Antonius, I am so sorry to hear about your daughter and can completely understand your reaction. I hope all is getting better for you and your faily. I truly don't know much about the Dutch health System, nor can I understand the policy of euthanising someone because of lac od funds. What sort of people are running this system. I hope that Queen Beatrix and the family, Royal though they may be, are coping with the distress they are obviously going through, they are human beings, as is the prince, and our good wishes should go to all those suffering similarly.

By Oz girl | 4 February 2013 3:55 AM