Netherlands is only eurozone land in 'where-to-be-born' top 10

Thursday 29 November 2012

While five of the top 10 countries on the Economist Intelligent Unit's new 'where-to-be-born' ranking are European, the Netherlands is the only one from the eurozone.

The Netherlands comes in in eighth place, sandwiched between New Zealand and Canada. Switzerland tops the ranking.

The aim of the index is to 'measure which country will provide the best opportunities for a healthy, safe and prosperous life in the years ahead'.

'Being rich helps more than anything else, but it is not all that counts; things like crime, trust in public institutions and the health of family life matter too,' the EIU says on its website.

Your thoughts? Use the comment form below.

I'd rather my child was born in France, Canada, USA, New Zealand and any other country which bestows automatic lifetime citizenship regardless of their parents citizenship--unlike Holland.

By Puck | 29 November 2012 3:19 PM

Puck: you couldn't be more wrong. As an American, I can tell you that one of the worst things the US ever did was to bestow automatic citizenship on all people born in the country, regardless of the status of that person's parents. The financial and social costs to the US resulting from these "anchor babies" has been a huge strain to the country and one that most politicians won't address due to political correctness. That the interpretation of the 14th Amendment that creates this phenomena is incorrect makes the situation all the more tragic.

By George | 29 November 2012 3:50 PM

Interesting and funny survey, switzerland and singapore are tax havens and thus best place to prosper? hope the gov get the hint to move up the survey.

By ufo | 29 November 2012 5:38 PM

It all depends on who you are, who you know, what you know, & how much you have, applies to all countries right?

By The visitor | 29 November 2012 8:25 PM

Yea. Read the article. The calculations were changed to favor the 'boring' states. I agree that you are likely to be comfortable in the Nordic countries, or even NL, but I don't want to just get by. I want the excitement of live, and the opportunity to excel in whatever I desire. None of the countries in the top of the list allow that. They are all Nanny states that beat the populace into some mediocrre mass of equality, where you think you're safe, have a holiday a year, and scream that you're happy. I want more.

By DH | 30 November 2012 12:03 AM

I had my first baby in NL this year and I have to say, it is a good place to be. Although I agree that there are hassles of not getting the citizenship directly.

By Preet | 30 November 2012 8:23 AM

Actually this is not my own opinion, this is from an article in Time magazine, as a scientist I usually give the full reference but I couldn't find the issue number but it was within the last 6-8 months. I think the name of the article was "moving the big stones" and it was about some controversial major amendments in US, including the one about this automatic citizenship. The conclusion is that it is not about political correctness. Some of these amendments are not just the law; they are much bigger than that. Actually they define what the country stands for and they shape the culture. This is why they are big stones! We should be careful while moving them.

By Guinness | 30 November 2012 11:04 PM