Dutch government gives €10m to help Syrian refugees

Friday 16 November 2012

The Dutch government is contributing an extra €10m to help look after thousands of Syrians who have fled the civil war in their country, aid minister Lilianne Ploumen said on Friday.

'The situation is extremely serious and threatens to deteriorate further,' Ploumen said. The money will go to the UN's refugee organisation. Some 400,000 refugees from the fighting are now in Turkey, Jordan, Lebanon and Iraq.

The UN says it needs €380m to ensure all refugees are properly helped. The Netherlands earlier donated €13.5m.

Should we do more? Have your say using the comment box below.

MHO personally no I don't think we should do more. I think ALL governments should take care of "their-own" then help other countries. How about all the people right here at home that are homeless and going hungry?

By dee | 16 November 2012 3:27 PM

First let me tell you that I have nothing against Syrians , but €13.5m is a huge amount of money ....who's paying for it ? u want tell me that the Dutch gov have so much money to give that amount as charity ? well at least not the Syrians are happy and rich , and I can't even buy food for last few days of the months because of huge bills and low salary !!!

By plasmo | 17 November 2012 6:21 PM

I am not sure . But I am getting disturbed by our governments in the West keeping on keeping on giving to countries all over the world (many of which are dictatorships and way more corrupt than even ourselves) when many of our own citizens are left on the streets. A lot of the money that is being donated to "charities" does by no means end up anywhere near where it supposed to go. Do I have a solution maybe not the best one but we buy food and donate through our "food bank" WHO in the heck would have ever envisioned "food banks" in the West 20 years ago!!What is wrong with this picture???

By tobias | 18 November 2012 5:43 AM

I have a Phd in engineering living in suburb of Den Haag and my salary is not enough to pay my bills. This is the status of Dutch economy.

By M | 18 November 2012 2:34 PM

Definitely agreed with all the comments here.

First, our own economy needs to be improved. THEN, we can return to providing help to others. In fact, this is not just in our interest, but also in theirs: after all, we can help them better when our economy has no major problems anymore, allowing us to make up for the period of no help, and more!

By Someone | 18 November 2012 4:22 PM

As if there is any comparison between the "poor" in the Netherlands and the victims of the civil war in Syria. I think it is only justified that one of the richest countries in the world helps the people of Syria.

By pepe | 18 November 2012 8:48 PM

in these times you have to help country that can help you back,today i am a poor man because i was helping friends who turn out to be cockroachs.

By dennis fook | 19 November 2012 2:20 AM

Why is broke Europe giving money away?

By jason | 20 November 2012 1:03 AM

I'm Syrian living abroad, but my family and most of my friends are still their, so I know exactly how bad is the situation back home.
I'm really embarrassed from all of you guys and I felt the same your in 2006, when I couldn't go to the university and my sister couldn't go to school because Lebanese refugees were living their and all the needed stuff like rice and sugar became doubled price.
your government did amazing thing for those abused ppl from their dictatorial government.
we only need is to end this bloody murderer government so we can go back home peacefully.

By Anas | 16 February 2013 7:51 PM