Dog walkers set to catch thieves

Tuesday 13 November 2012

Dog owners are in an ideal position to catch thieves when out walking their pets, Almere mayor Annemarie Jorritsma told the Telegraaf on Tuesday.

Jorritsma, a Liberal VVD minister between 1998 and 2002, wants dog owners trained by the police to spot suspicious activity and in what action to take when they do.

'People often walk their dogs twice during the evening and would be ideal ears and eyes for the police,' she told the paper.

A good idea? Let us know in the comment box below.

So, dog walkers spot something suspicious and call the police. And what happens next? The police dash round as fast as they can and catch the criminals red handed? Or they generously agree to send someone round 'when we have the time'? I think we all know that this is a non-starter. You can have a thief INSIDE your house, and the police won't show up for 2 hours!

By Nika | 13 November 2012 3:15 PM

She is joking right?Yeah we walk our dogs at night to exercise our selfs and dogs not to do unpaid police work.Sure if I seen a crime in progress I would call the police on the emergency number.I don't think I need any special training for that.All this will do is breed have a go heroes who will either go to far and end up being vigilantes or the victims of crime due to this stupid idea.

By jason buttle | 13 November 2012 3:24 PM

'Let them do their own dirty work.

By The visitor | 13 November 2012 3:56 PM

They can't even clean up after their dogs, I think expecting them to call the cops might be a bit much.

By Valentijn | 14 November 2012 12:36 AM

My friend house burglary was caught by a dog walker. Yes, having them around will certainly help and deter burglars.

By ufo | 14 November 2012 8:48 AM

Thieves will be alert for dog walkers, and might go after them. Inform the general public how to report suspicious activity.

By Michelangelo | 14 November 2012 10:50 AM

And you'd be making all dog walkers victim to worried criminals. How about we get a little tougher on crime?

By Mary | 14 November 2012 12:28 PM

"They can't even clean up after their dogs,"

You are welcome to come with me when I walk the dog, and you will see that I always clean up ater my dog has done its business. Dont assume all dog owners dont clear up after their dogs!

By Doug | 14 November 2012 3:40 PM

So will that mean I will no longer be forced to pay dig tax, since I am now a civil servant and "on duty" when out walking my dog?

By Dog Owner | 16 November 2012 3:20 PM