Princess Maxima swims Amsterdam canals for charity

Sunday 09 September 2012

Princess%20Maxima%20swims.jpg

Princess Maxima was a surprise entrant in Sunday's Amsterdam canal swim to raise money for a nerve and muscle disease charity.

The princess swam the 2km course in 50 minutes and was welcomed by her husband crown prince Willem Alexander and daughters at the end. She wore a red and black wetsuit and orange swimming hat for the event.

A number of prominent Dutch swimmers, including Olympic champions Pieter van den Hoogenband, Marleen Veldhuis, Edith Bosch and Maarten van der Weijden were among the 1,000 people taking part.

Although the canals are not officially declared safe for swimming, 'the water has never been so clean', the organisers said on their website. Nevertheless, swimmers were warned not to take part with open wounds and to use goggles and ear plugs to minimise any risk.

The swim is an annual event. This year's was raising money for research into amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.

Photo: Novum

Would you swim in the Amsterdam canals? Have your say using the comment box below.

Print-version
News archives

Readers' comments (10)

Not for all the tea in China!!

By M | September 10, 2012 8:52 AM

Bravo to the celebrities, braving the canals to bring attention to an awful condition and raising money for research in the process. It would have been nice to add the link, where readers could donate.

By jaycee | September 10, 2012 8:59 AM

Maxima :) she is so cool, and almost always involved in some social chartiable activities.

By Bill | September 10, 2012 9:05 AM

Heavens NO! I would not swim,walk or do anything else in the canals. Nor eat any fish that was caught from them

By dee | September 10, 2012 10:02 AM

She'll end up having nerve and muscle disease herself...

Although I have to say they're a lot cleaner than in the 60s and 70s, when you had to get an immediate stomach-pump if you fell in or acidentally drank any canal water.

By woods | September 10, 2012 4:43 PM

I visited the Netherlands from Texas in 2006 and 2007 and swam in one of your canals both times. I remain unscathed. It looked, smelled, and felt like ... water. It seemed no different from the lakes and rivers we have here. The one quality of the water than remains with me to this day is that it was FREAKING COLD!!! (Just like Barton Springs Pool.) If your water is disgusting, I sure couldn't tell. I wasn't the only one swimming on those occasions; locals were already swimming in the water before I joined them. That all being said, my boyfriend, a Dutch citizen and resident of Harderwijk, did NOT join me. He simply watched, amused. LOL.

By The Cat Lady | September 10, 2012 7:48 PM

What a brilliant effort on her part. I doubt I would ever swim in the Amsterdam canals (even if they are cleaner than they have ever been!), and I take off my hat to her for having the courage to do it. Her time seemed pretty good too!

By AnneP | September 11, 2012 8:16 AM

She's beatiful, beatiful in so many ways!!

By Ana | September 11, 2012 4:21 PM

I feel princess maxima is very brave for swimming in the amsterdamse canal.
She needs to be commented, for it is not the cleanest water

By mary bik | September 12, 2012 5:05 AM

Being a Dutch citizen, but immigrated to Toronto, Canada as a child my wonderful father died of AlS. What a grand charity she has done!

By stevina sauer | September 22, 2012 9:35 PM