Policewoman filmed kicking drunk

Tuesday 19 June 2012

Rotterdam police are investigating an internet film which appears to show a police woman kicking a drunk man several times before he is arrested.

The man is leaning against a wall when the woman, with a blonde ponytail, kicks him, apparently in the crotch. She then kicks him several more times as he curls over.

The man is then placed on his stomach and handcuffed. Several passersby are heard shouting at the police as the arrest takes place.

Police are currently speaking to the officers involved and will only comment once, including the suspect', has been interviewed, Nos television says. The incident took place on June 17.

The Telegraaf said later the incident began when the officers tried to move on the man who was sleeping in a doorway. He reacted in a aggressive manner and was then sprayed with pepper spray. Then the filming started.

Watch the video here

Uh, oh, a Dutch Rodney King episode. If true, she should be sacked without benefits and sit in jail for a while.

By Quest | 19 June 2012 3:30 PM

Disgusting If this is correct she should get a custodial sentance for assault, and the male officer should be dimissed.
We dont need police like this.
Fist we get one that rapes and murders little girls then we get them beating up drunks

By Nick | 19 June 2012 3:36 PM

I watched this vid on de Telegraaf and my mouth fell open in shock. I sincerely hope this female agent is dismissed from her job at the police. This is very clearly the inappropriate use of violence.

By Bill | 19 June 2012 4:35 PM

It is important to punish this police person otherwise the police violence will increase in the coming time.

By Savas | 19 June 2012 6:38 PM

He was disabled by the pepper spray; all other actionw were just sheer, twisted pleasure by [quote] 'een gefrustreerde trut'.

Have witnessed similar by the police here in Leidseplein against a man with a toddler in tow! (after motorbike police had almost mown his baby&bakfiets down and the man 'swore'). The more professionals I meet here, the less professionalism I expect.

By osita | 19 June 2012 7:08 PM

This only goes to prove there are good and bad in all professions.

I asked the Dutch Police for directions once in a police station and the surly response I got was not necessary.

I hope this gentleman gets compensation,because he deserves it,in my opinion.

If a civilian,kicked a policeman/woman,it would be assault.

By David | 19 June 2012 9:56 PM

I guess the man was her ex boy friend.... she she is expressing her anger :P

By duh | 19 June 2012 11:13 PM

Disgusting! Although I have seen it before from female police. Expect to see more of this because of the cuts they are making in the mental health sector.

By Anne Onymous | 20 June 2012 12:36 AM

Well, there were no dogs around to kick. Police only choose an easy target who wont fight back; generally not a criminal either.

By Simon Esslecross | 20 June 2012 10:26 AM

Unfortunately I have seen similar unwarranted violence by two police officers here in Leiden, the victim had given chase but gave up and showed no sign of violence towards the officers. When they reached him he was punched and kicked for no apparent reason. I reported it but it wasn't taken any further by their complaints officer. Very worrying to see this might be more prevelant and even institutionalised.

By E | 20 June 2012 3:42 PM

Hi,
Are we in Holland ?

By Terence Hale | 20 June 2012 6:03 PM

I once witnessed police beating a woman for shop lifting at Albert Heijn in 2008. SHe wouldn't let them look in her purse so they BEAT HER. They kicked her, punched her, sat on her, pulled her by her hair, etc. I stood there in horror while at least 50 others stood by watching and doing nothing. I quickly snapped out of it and ran over and stood in front of her (I had my NEWBORN with me at the time as well) and refused to let them touch her. More police came and I reported those 2 for what they did and it should be all on camera. She didn't deserve that no matter what she stole!

By Laura K. | 21 June 2012 6:42 PM

The most frightening police brutality I've ever seen was also in the Netherlands, not long after I moved here in early 2010. I was stopped at the lights on a bus and a man on a scooter was driving along on a parallel road. Suddenly two police cars roared up, cutting him off at the front and behind. He looked confused but not worried. Immediately 3 male officers sprang from the cars, one tackled the man to the ground from his scooter and they all proceeded to punch and kick him repeatedly around the head, abdomen and torso. I don't know what he had done - if he'd done anything at all - but the violence was shocking.

By bobbianderson | 22 June 2012 8:42 AM

thanks for sharing these stories of police violence in the Netherlands. the stories are quite alarming indeed, and I have no doubt that they are true. I can only hope that now more and more people will come forward and tell their stories publicly. In my opinion this is the only way the situation will change - public pressure and transparency. The police themselves are obviously not able to control their own agents, in many cases.
And people wonder why we are losing faith in our leaders? wonder no longer, read the news.

By Bill | 22 June 2012 2:28 PM

I think that the writer of this article should add the phrase "the police spokesperson said" to the phrase, "He reacted in a aggressive manner and was then sprayed with pepper spray." The person who made the video gave an interview and said that that police statement was wrong and that the man was not aggressive. Also, this "aggressive manner" accusation sounds fishy. Saying vague and subjective things like "reacting in an aggressive manner" is a classic PR phrase when one is does not have real hard facts. If the man hit, kicked, spit, bit, yelled, cursed, threatened, or swung at the officers, then the spokesperson would have simply said that.

By Rob | 22 June 2012 3:36 PM