What you say on internet can affect your job: legal aid group

Monday 07 May 2012

One in three employers checks up on what their staff write on social media networks and 10% do this regularly, according to legal aid group Arag on Monday.

'Many people put all sorts of information in Facebook and Twitter and are often linked to their colleagues. Someone who reports in sick but is pictured on a photo at a party may get into trouble,' Arag is quoted as saying in the Telegraaf.

'Public information can be used as evidence in questions of unacceptable behaviour', the legal advice group said.

Being negative about your company can also be a reason to be sacked. Recently a man was fired by household goods shop Blokker for describing his company in very negative terms on the internet, the Telegraaf pointed out.

Many companies are now working on codes of conduct for social media use, the organisation says.

In my industry, I have to tell people all the time, THINK before you post anything on the internet. This includes forums or newsgroups you sign up to. ESPECIALLY if you're using a username that can be linked back to you!! Once it's on Google it will take a lot of work to get it off again.

By Petra Ann | 7 May 2012 11:35 AM

Big Brother is watching...

This is absolutely ridiculous. This is EXACTLY why I avoid all social media and it is also why I exclusively use aliases that are different per site whenever I post on a forum. This practice by employers is wrong, in my opinion, and it is a grave violation of privacy. If I found out that my employer was doing this, I'd quit.

By Stupid | 7 May 2012 12:56 PM

Internet, a love/hate relationship?

A username is no guarantee of privacy or anonymity. Whatever name you choose is linked to your IP address. Right now there is a whole network of agencies employed by the guv that constantly search for any subversive comments/plans. Failing that they have satellite trackers for dongle users, and a whole host of spy software that we are unaware of. These days you can never be 100% sure.

If you want to be really safe, use Bin Laden's system, internet cafes.

Bottom line: whatever you say or upload to the net is there forever on a server.

By The visitor | 7 May 2012 4:35 PM

Hi,
I have a lot to say on internet: - Terence_I_Hale. Do you think it will get me a job?

By Terence Hale | 7 May 2012 6:30 PM

what a lovely story,people have to wake up and reconsider whatever they want to say,but if always talk about the positive wil my job be save?

By john | 8 May 2012 11:18 AM

There is a lot of software people often use for masking their IP address. They can even change locations although I don't know why anyone would want to do that unless they are doing something they shouldn't be doing.

By mari | 8 May 2012 2:06 PM

An old username and ip is also not a guarantee of privacy or anonymity since they can be found and linked to a location even if they were from several years ago. Intelligence agencies use them all the time.

By Dale | 8 May 2012 2:11 PM

Encryption won't protect you either. There are a lot of savoir-faire people capable of breaking even the most complex of codes. Social networking sites allow government networks to crawl through data without your consent and find out more about you than you'd like them to know. Those Facebook and social website privacy settings are there only to make their users think they have some control over who has access to their exchange of communications.

By Chad | 8 May 2012 3:31 PM

There are no real software programs or hardware that is completely impassable for private communications or otherwise. As we all know, WikiLeaks proved that already. ;) All software contains some type of “back door" enabling government agencies or ‘bad guys’ to eavesdrop. Of course many types of cloaking software or VPN services are available to change ip addresses. Legitimate Internet users merely use these to protect their anonymity from security breaches otherwise known as hackers.

By omg | 8 May 2012 6:10 PM

Check your job contracts. Increasingly, companies are demanding access to your social networks as part of the work contract. Would I work for such a company who wanted to own my ass 24/7? No way! But I'm not desparate (no mortgage/other income) and many people are. People are signing away their privacy by (a) not knowing their friends work for such companies (mainly US) and (b) not caring about privacy, or not having the wisdom to set their security on Facebook etc to FRIENDS ONLY.

Having read this, you have been warned.

By osita | 8 May 2012 7:37 PM

Encryption has been around for a long time and not going anywhere, anytime soon. Cryptanalysis is an interesting subject - seeing through the disguise even when you're not supposed to be able to. A lot to learn from the past Egyptian scribes, Assyrians, Greeks, Chinese, Germans, and not to forget the Navajo code talkers.

Ah shucks, Guess we’ll have to go back and use the old forms of encryption - Book 3, page 12, line 5. The only positive side to that is that we can keep up on our daily book reading and news while writing a private message to someone that no one else will be able to decipher.

By Phil | 8 May 2012 8:32 PM