More evidence emerges of problems with medical bills

Wednesday 09 May 2012

Health insurers detected fraudulent and incorrect insurance claims totalling €175m last year and a further €800m-worth of claims were rejected, the Telegraaf reports on Wednesday.

Medical specialists, mental health institutions and other healthcare providers accounted for 75% of the fraudulent claims, the paper said. In many cases, bills had been submitted for treatments that cannot be carried out together.

Last week, the Volkskrant said health insurers have for years been paying bills for alternative therapies such as hypnotherapy and psychosynthesis without knowing what they were paying for.

"Medical specialists, mental health institutions and other healthcare providers accounted for 75% of the fraudulent claims". Interesting. Is this why our no claims payment and basic insurance costs are going up - to cover fraud at the highest levels? I am sure that the bosses of these organisations, and the specialists gave themselves large financial rewards for their great management.

By jaycee | 9 May 2012 10:16 AM

sheeesh no wonder our own risk premium will nearly double next year. these people are one of the worst sorts of criminals to me, I hope they get put in jail.

By Bill | 10 May 2012 6:46 AM

To be fair, taking into account the amount of Health Insurance we must pay in NL compared to other European countries every possible alternative therapy should be covered. In fact, one could argue that beauty therapy could also be covered. Fact; it's cheaper to be insured with an Expat health insurance package.

By Long term expat | 10 May 2012 6:49 PM

My partner has had 3 years of heavy medical care. Unless I submit a claim directly, I do not see what claims have been submitted by medical and rehab institutions. Many times I saw wrong information in the EPD (after repeatedly asking them to fix it) and I suspect that many medications, procedures, etc., were submitted to our insurance company in error. I think patients should also receive a copy of claims submitted on their behalf. It would probably would cut down the errors and fraud significantly.

By Quest | 10 May 2012 11:03 PM

@Long term: I agree. We pay RIDICULOUSLY high premiums (I pay 120EUR/mo for the most basic package) and get almost nothing in return. Even a visit to the physiotherapist is going to cost me 30 euros. And mental therapy? Forget that! And when you go to the regular doctor, they have all of 10 minutes for you and keep checking their watches the entire time. How in the world do is that care!?!? "Care" doesn't seem to be the priority anymore, but money is.

In contrast, BC (Canada) health insurance costs 66CDN/mo and covers everything except brand-name prescriptions, and Alberta health insurance was 44CDN/mo when I lived there and now costs NOTHING.

By Stupid | 11 May 2012 7:21 AM

Fact: if you work here, a cheaper Expat health insurance package is not sufficient(these may not cover all costs, and so the minimum Dutch basic health package is a legal requirement). Info can be found on the government website (in several languages):

By osita | 11 May 2012 7:48 AM