Dual nationality and burqa bans are still on the cards, says minister

Wednesday 23 May 2012

It is up to MPs to decide whether to drop the proposed bans on dual nationality and the burqa, not the cabinet, home affairs minister Liesbeth Spies told parliament on Tuesday evening.

Spies said two weeks ago in an interview with the Volkskrant that as far as she is concerned, both pieces of legislation can be dropped.

But the minister stressed on Tuesday she was speaking then as a candidate for leadership of the Christian Democrats. 'I can and will defend both pieces of legislation,' Spies said.

It is up to parliament to decide what pending legislation can proceed now the government has fallen and ministers are supposed to simply mind the shop. So far, MPs have not declared any issues to be controversial.

Print-version
News archives

Readers' comments (22)

Number one rule, never trust spies?

By Highlander | May 23, 2012 8:45 AM

I was born in the Netherlands, and because I took out Canadian citizenship, in response to my Canadian born childrens request to do so, I have lost any right to my homeland.. I cannot retire, or live in my Motherland, even though I would support myself financially, and would not be a burden on the Dutch economy. But, I notice, that if I were to come as a refugee from a Muslim country, I would be welcome. It would seem to me that there is something wrong with this scenario.

By andrew b. dikens | May 23, 2012 9:04 AM

Somebody in the Hague needs to provide an open access course called 'Setting Priorities for Beginners'. 'Making your mind up' might be a good option for a follow-up course.

By Michael P | May 23, 2012 9:48 AM

Let's hope commonsense prevails!

By wilma | May 23, 2012 11:10 AM

@Andrew.

That was your choice! Being a refugee rarely is a choice - regardless of the country they come from. Why did you specifically mention Muslim countries when it applies to all refugees? Not anti-Islamic are you?

By Joseph | May 23, 2012 2:12 PM

I have heard it so many times, but now I have finally seen it in action. A politician talking from both sides of her mouth. Liesbeth Spies = sorry excuse for a politician.

By Johan | May 23, 2012 2:47 PM

Andrew Dikens, I believe you can regain your Dutch nationality via the "Option" procedure; many people in the US have done so. I suggest you check with a Dutch Consulate in Canada, or with the Embassy in Washington, DC. Good luck.

By Tom King | May 23, 2012 4:53 PM

I agree, Andrew, it's ridiculous all-around. I hope you're enjoying Canada though :D I'm about to return home and I'm very much looking forward to it.

By Stupid | May 23, 2012 5:03 PM

Why did you lose your rights, andrew? Apparently there are many duals in North America and elsewhere protesting the potential end of this law because it affects them too.

If this was an excuse to spew your bigoted views about people who aren't privileged to live in as stable a country as you are lucky to live in now, it's not working because we're not getting the whole story from you.

By CW | May 23, 2012 5:22 PM

This is plain double talk, one moment saying this and the other moment that! Whatever works best for the politician will go. This describes politics to the utmost. Votes, votes, votes.........

By R Driessen | May 23, 2012 5:36 PM

Mr Dikens. If you were a refugee from another country, you would have to prove you were escaping from persecution or oppresion. Do you have a lot of that in Canada? I suspect you've never lived in fear that a bomb would fall on your home, or guerillas/terrorists shoot your family - am I corrrect?

Walk a mile in another man's shoes, Mr Dikens. Your veiled racism and your nostalgia for your childhood is meaningless, compared to what legitimate asylum seekers have lived through and escaped from, unlikely ever to return safely.

By osita | May 23, 2012 5:36 PM

So what's the big deal about having two nationalities? It is certainly not loyalty, that's for sure! Why & when are these naive transparent politicians going to start telling the truth to the media? There are already enough restrictions as it is: try making things a little easier for a change & concentrate more on the important issues at hand, like giving away more billions to other countries duh!

By The visitor | May 23, 2012 11:12 PM

I am confused: these past years I understood that dual citizenship already was not allowed. On March 6 of this year I even found a link at the San Francisco consulate explaining that. That link right now no longer exists. This is a new link that I just found: http://www.minbuza.nl/en/services/consular-services/dutch-nationality/acquiring-a-different-nationality
So what is this new law about then? I am confused.

By Henk | May 24, 2012 12:18 AM

i'm reading this and wondering why i have to give up my US passport when i get my NL passport if this isn't even law yet. i don't get it.

By dan | May 24, 2012 9:38 AM

I have both a Dutch & a New Zealand passport and I'm keeping them both..... I'm a proud Dutch Kiwi

By Pierre | May 24, 2012 10:03 AM

You can still be dual if you are married to a Dutch person. There is talk to eliminate that.

If it happens before I can apply, I will simply be a permanent resident with a Canadian passport. I chose a husband, not a country; my son was too old to move here, and there is no way I will have a different nationality than him.

Most people move for pragmatic reasons, not because they want to reject their homeland. Politicians, having never had to make a decision like that, rarely understand that.

By CW | May 24, 2012 12:54 PM

Queen Beatrix is also a British national, so what would her position be if the law concerning dual nationality was changed?

I am proud to be British and have lived in Holland for 50 years and see no reason for me to become a Dutch citizen.

By Bill Bailey | May 24, 2012 10:47 PM

I don't understand what the fuss is all about. I gave-up my Dutch nationality for an equally good one. I can still visit any country of my choosing and I can also visit the Netherlands when I feel nostalgic. BTW, I still pay taxes in the country where I made my living most of my life.

By JK | May 25, 2012 1:56 AM

In response to the many posts regarding my comments, I can tell you this: I may be, but I don't think that I am racist. CW, I lost my Dutch Citizenship because I took out Canadian Citizenship, not because of anything that I had done wrong.
Osita,in Canada we have many people escaping oppression, unfortunately, they come by way of Safe Countries, i.e. U.S. E.U.These unfortunate people love to come to Canada because once they cross the border, we give them free housing, medical care, clothing, food, and $3000.00 per month. Who would not want to come here? We have Roma, Muslims,and a variety of other cultures who want to come here and live of of the Government.

By andrew b. dikens | May 25, 2012 8:31 AM

C.W., I'm not spewing anything, other than the fact that as a Native born Netherlander I can no longer live in my home country. C.W., bigotry has nothing to do with it. It just irritates the hell out of me than any other foreign national can live in Holland and I, a born native, can not. There has to be something wrong with this picture. Perhaps it is because I served in the Canadian Army for 3 years. I don't know, politics bedevils me. Maybe I should talk to some of my de Ruiter relatives in Amsterdam.

By andrew b. dikens | May 25, 2012 9:12 AM

To all those jumping on Andrew: I didn't get a "veiled racism" feel from his comment at all, he was merely pointing out the ambiguity and unfairness of it all. The point is that EVERYONE should be treated equally and fairly, no matter if you're ex-Dutch or a refugee escaping from a terrible place. THAT'S the point; the one that I got, anyway.

By Stupid | May 25, 2012 10:53 AM

There are many dual and triple nationals who violate the rules of countries. Many are super-rich and have no allegiance to nation states. They spread their investments worldwide seeing multiple nationalities as key to hedging their risks.
People often become Dutch nationals by naturalization giving up their birth nationalities only to return back to their original countries to re-acquire these same nationalities. Several countries would re-issue you with a passport if you obtained your original passport by birth (even after naturalization in another country).
While dual nationality is frowned on in the Netherlands, those acquiring Dutch nationality by naturalization (and renounce their birth nationalities) find legal loopholes to re-acquire their birth nationalities. The Dutch government hasn’t a clue about this.

By Zra My | May 26, 2012 11:25 AM