Amsterdam remains best place to live

Wednesday 23 May 2012

Amsterdam remains the most attractive place to live in the Netherlands, followed by Utrecht and Den Bosch, according to the latest Atlas voor Gemeenten, the Parool reports on Wednesday.

The atlas, an annual publication, compares the 50 biggest local authority areas in the country on 40 points, ranging from safety and population make-up to their cultural and culinary reputations.

Emmen is bottom of the list for the second year running.

The report also singles out student cities Utrecht, Groningen and Nijmegen for their creativity and arts, while Maastricht and Zwollle are considered hotspots for good food.

For people with loads of money, certainly.

By Felice M. | 23 May 2012 4:17 PM

In spite of all the other nonsense going on in NL, indeed Amsterdam is a great city to live in. The canals in the center, the vibe of this small but very international town, the wind blowing through you as you glide to your next destination on your bike - all make the Dam a damned fine place to live!

By Bill | 24 May 2012 7:06 AM

If you got a job and speak their language perfectly you got it made but even that, the wages are awful for non Dutch unless you were sent to Europe to be a bigwig in an international company.

By Howdew | 24 May 2012 11:18 AM

Boston is far better and more beautiful.

plus, u can follow some good sports too.

By dork | 24 May 2012 12:56 PM

I had no idea there was a Boston in the Netherlands, dork! Home of De Bostonse Bolletjes FC? haha.

By J. | 24 May 2012 3:21 PM

I currently live in Amsterdam and I used to live in Boston. It all comes down to culture. I love them both. If you're not a student or a sports fan, you will probably be happy to trade the T and Boston Common for a bicycle and Vondelpark.

By Al | 24 May 2012 5:52 PM

Boston is in the Netherlands now?
Are all American's dorks, or just you?

By dave | 25 May 2012 10:11 AM

I agree, Howdew. Had I known what I know now about the Netherlands, I never would have come here for four years to try and make a life here. But I don't regret it ONE BIT.

I'm returning home to Canada (Vancouver/Squamish) shortly. Now THAT'S a beautiful city :D Farewell everyone.

By Stupid | 25 May 2012 10:46 AM

@Dork

I didn't know Boston was in the Netherlands :)

By Gorky | 25 May 2012 2:00 PM

The title of the article is best city IN THE NETHERLANDS :)

Deviates a bit to think about Boston, who knows maybe Sidney is even better?

btw.: sports to follow in Boston? Which sports? Those ones that are only played in America?

By Not a red sox fan | 26 May 2012 12:31 AM

Sadly I have learned never to tell anyone how nice your town or living region is, I did and within a few years it was overrun by people that did not give a heck about beauty

By tobias smit | 29 May 2012 4:06 AM

Living in Amsterdam and visiting as a tourist are completely different things.
Dealing with a lot of stupid stuff going on here on daily business makes life sometimes unbearable. Rarely things (post, utilities, transport, authorities, bars and restaurants) run smoothly and/or cheaply here. I try to enjoy those rare moments. Privacy is not guaranteed :)

P.S. stop calling ppl dorks, nobody said boston is in the netherlands...

By Here | 29 May 2012 1:34 PM