Dutch F-16s drop bombs in Afghanistan

Wednesday 18 April 2012

Two Dutch F-16 fighter jets dropped several bombs in the eastern Afghan province of Badghis last Friday in an effort to help American soldiers who had come under fire from rebels.

A spokesman for the defence ministry said the mission was successful but there was no word on any casualties.

The jets were involved in regular flying exercises when the Americans asked for help.

It was the second time Dutch F-16s have dropped bombs since they were sent to support the police training mission which the Netherlands currently leads.

Parliament voted narrowly in favour of sending police trainers to Afghanistan on the condition they were only used for civilian purposes.

Print-version
News archives

Readers' comments (11)

Is this good news? - NL jets dropping bombs on people? No telling who gets blown up by these plane dropped bombs of course. I am 100% sure its not all Taliban people.
As an American myself, my opinion is that we NO business in Afghanistan. I'm ashamed of this from my home country. Most Afghan natives agree I bet.

By Bill | April 18, 2012 2:05 PM

Sorry Bill but the US is there as is NATO. While like you I find the war a terrible thing we are there and our people are there so I will support all the actions there are to either win or create a situation where a negotiated peace can occur. Well done RNAF.

By jd | April 18, 2012 6:11 PM

"But the Dutch must think this is a good action I guess - otherwise it would not be happening."
Really Bill? Does that same logic also apply to Americans? That the Americans must think the Afghan war is a good thing, otherwise it wouldn't be happening. Or does a different logic apply when it comes to Americans.

By tim | April 18, 2012 7:04 PM

@Bill: I think i has more to do with military budget justification combined with political palm greasing. There will always be innocent victims in any bomb raid.

The armed forces are always told (Lied to)
"It is for the greater good.")

A spokesman for the defence ministry said the mission was successful, not 'good.'

By The Visitor | April 19, 2012 12:26 AM

tim: good point, you are exactly right, and I am wrong in this case.

By Bill | April 19, 2012 10:19 AM

Ugh, I agree with Bill that the 'war' is ridiculous, but I also agree with jd: the soldiers over there are people with families and loved ones, just like you and I. They deserve our support, respect and most of all understanding. I'm sure the pilots also know that they didn't "blow up" 100% Taliban, and I'm sure that doesn't sit well with them either.

By Stupid | April 19, 2012 12:05 PM

I sit here and grit my teeth.... Thank you Dutch Air Force for probably saving the lives of fellow NATO soldiers. The article doesn't say anything about deaths, either Taliban or otherwise.

By DH | April 19, 2012 3:07 PM

Thanks Netherlands for your support and for responding to soldiers under fire.

By roland | April 19, 2012 10:58 PM

Yea, sure they deserve our support and understading because they have "families and loved ones, just like you and I". We should support killing of innocents because the soldiers have families and loved ones. We should support policemen abusing their power because they have families. Hell, we should respect and understand a local mobster, thief or whatever because, well, he is just trying to feed his family like you and me.

By Dim | April 20, 2012 8:25 AM

Civilian casualties in Afghanistan are the highest they've been since the invasion, according to the latest statistics from the United Nations creating the highest total since 2006 for civilian deaths - the continued annual rises has seen over 12,793 killed in the past six years. Just a thought for the Afghan family's, they are innocent, and suffering terribly?

By Highlander | April 20, 2012 10:42 AM

@Dim: You're drawing the statement too far, in my opinion. One must always rely on reason and logic, and your two examples have no such thing. Policemen can quit/be fired and a mobster is (probably) breaking the law. The armed forces is made up of VOLUNTEERS that give themselves to protect YOU. It is the military leaders that deserve reproach here, not the soldiers themselves.

By Stupid | April 20, 2012 11:42 AM