Queen Beatrix cancels engagements, family to remain in Lech

Thursday 23 February 2012

The queen has cancelled several engagements and will remain longer in the Austrian resort of Lech to be close to her son Friso, the state information service RVD said on Thursday.

Friso remains in a critical condition after being hit by an avalanche while out skiing last Friday. The prince, Beatrix's second son, was buried under the snow for at least 15 minutes and is being kept in an artificial coma.

Crown prince Willem-Alexander, princess Maxima and their three children will also remain in Lech for another week, but this was already planned, the RVD said.

Wishing Friso a full and speedy recovery, we pray for Friso and the Royal family at this critical time for all.

By AndyT | 23 February 2012 4:43 PM

my heart goes out to his wife, the children, the queen and his other brothers and their family. What a tradegy. God be with you. River Falls, WI. USA

By jannievandalengast | 24 February 2012 5:33 PM

Friso and the Royal family are in our prayers

By Lillian | 24 February 2012 7:37 PM

God Bless You, Prince Friso. We pray for a miracle for you and your family at this heartbreaking time and we pray for strength for your loved ones to get through this.

By Katie | 24 February 2012 7:49 PM

This is intended for the royal family:
There is hope:I was 14 years old when riding with my parents in a car to N.Y.C from Manitoba, Canada and our car which was driven by my father hit a guardrail and plunged into a ditch.My mother had succumbed to her injuries and passed away,my two brothers were lightly injured my father was also injured and I was hit on the head and suffered a concoction and was in a comma for three weeks.The doctors at the hospital in Pennsylvania where I was staying could not predict how long it will take for me to come out of the comma but after three weeks it happened.I pray for the prince,many blessings

By Ziva T | 25 February 2012 8:35 AM

There is hope:I was also in a comma for three weeks when the car which was driven by my father hit a guardrail and landed in a ditch.I suffered a concoction to the head and was left in a comma for three weeks.There is hope and I and many others will keep the prince in our prayers.With love from Canada[♥]

By Ziva T | 25 February 2012 8:42 AM

There is hope:many blessings and prayers for the Dutch prince he is in our heart and prayers.With [♥]from Canada

By Ziva T | 25 February 2012 8:47 AM

We would like to wish the Dutch Royal Family strength at this difficult time.

By Rosalind | 25 February 2012 9:09 PM