Prince Friso suffered 'very serious brain damage' in skiing accident

Friday 24 February 2012

royals%20arrive%20at%20the%20hospital Prince Constantijn, queen Beatrix, Friso's wife Mabel and crown prince Willem-Alexander arrive at the hospital on Friday. Photo Reuters

Prince Johan Friso suffered ‘very serious’ brain damage during his skiing accident and doctors cannot say if he will ever regain consciousness, the head of the medical team treating the prince told reporters on Friday.

The prince, queen Beatrix' second son, was hit by an avalanche while skiing off piste with a friend a week ago. He was under the snow for at least 25 minutes.

Doctor Wolfgang Koller told a short news conference Friso's heart stood still for 50 minutes, leading to a shortage of oxygen to the brain. If the prince does regain consciousness, it could be months or even years before he recovers, Koller said.

'Fifty minutes is very long, you could say too long,' Nos television quoted Koller as saying.

friso%20press%20conference

Wolfgang Koller explains the prince's injuries at a news conference on Friday. Photo: Novum

Doctors had hoped to limit the damage to Friso’s brain by keeping his body temperature low. However a MRI scan on Thursday revealed severe brain damage.

The doctor said the royal family is now looking for another institution where the prince can be nursed. He is currently in hospital in Innsbruck while the rest of the family are in the ski resort of Lech.

Meanwhile, prime minister Mark Rutte has cut short his skiing holiday because of the tragedy.

A dreadful thing to happen to any parent. I wish Friso and his mother all the best.
Carol

By carol cheshire | 24 February 2012 1:16 PM

Aww, I was really hoping for some better news :( I'm so sorry.. My sincere condolences to the Royal Family. My Canadian heart breaks for you.

By Stupid | 24 February 2012 1:23 PM

This is not good news. My sympathies and wishes for the best to Friso, his family, and all caring Dutch people. Come back to us Friso!!

By Bill | 24 February 2012 1:28 PM

Hi,
With feelings and sadness I pass my respect to the family

By Terence Hale | 24 February 2012 3:19 PM

Oh! My heart is bleeding for the Dutch Royal Family at this moment. I will keep on praying for the recovery of Prince Friso. I do admire and deeply respect this Family.

By TONIART | 24 February 2012 3:39 PM

This is so sad. What a waste of a young life. My thoughts are the Queen!

By Josephine Perry | 24 February 2012 4:45 PM

That's very sad to hear. In such cases, it is almost better that he just died there and then.

I certainly wouldn't wish to be brain damaged for the rest of my life.

By Chris | 24 February 2012 5:16 PM

I hope they give the family more than one day to find a nursing institution, which is what we were given in The Netherlands.

By Quest | 24 February 2012 6:47 PM

Miracles can happen and I hope Prince Friso’s family find strength to keep their faith. Never give up hope. One thing we all seem to forget is that the coma patient hears everything being said around them and about them. EEG scans can change, and hopefully as his brain recovers further from the trauma his EEG could change too. Best thing his family can do is to talk to him, quietly play his favorite music and when the doctors allow it; there are certain stimulation methods that might help him too. Meantime, Prayers are powerful for healing. God Bless...

By Kate | 24 February 2012 6:52 PM

As a foreigner, I wish the very best for the Prince and a speedy recovery and the blessings from God. I even will pray for him and for his illness.

Trust in the Lord.

Respectfully

Nickolaus Hendel

By Mr. Nickolaus E. Hendel | 24 February 2012 7:47 PM

It is still hope.
Queen Beatrix, Princess Mabel, Countess Luana, Countess Zaria, Prince Willem-Alexander, Prince Constantijn, Princess Maxima, Princess Laurentien and their children should be strong and wait for positive results from the treatment in the rehabilitation institution. Science is advancing fast and new methods of treatment bring Miracle. It is important Prince Friso is still among of them. Continuing praying for prince Friso. God brought good results until now and will continue to do so for Prince Friso.

By Erma | 24 February 2012 11:03 PM

It is so sad... I am really sorry for his wife and his two kids... I am also sorry for his mother and father...How sad!

By John | 24 February 2012 11:20 PM

i am so sorry for a husband, father and son to have suffered this. My thoughts and prayers will be for him and all of his family.

By Tory Aiden Mann | 25 February 2012 4:33 PM

Our thoughts and prayers with the family at this difficult time.
Marianne (Australia)

By Marianne Lloyd-Hartman | 26 February 2012 9:06 AM

My heart is breaking with all the sad news about Friso's situation and my thoughts go out to his wife and children as well as to the royal family. We are with you and keep hoping for better news.

By Nicolien van Schouwen | 27 February 2012 9:58 PM

I am so very sad to hear of this tragedy. I pray continually for his recovery and for strength and peace to his family.May God bless you all

By samantha | 10 March 2012 4:00 PM