Rita Verdonk leaves politics

Friday 21 October 2011

Right-wing populist politician Rita Verdonk is standing down as head of Trots op Nederland (proud of the Netherlands) the political party she founded in 2007, according to media reports on Friday.

TON number two Arthur van der Putte told the Volkskrant Verdonk is standing down. She had been due to announce her decision during a television current affairs show later on Friday evening.

Verdonk set up the party after losing the VVD leadership battle to Mark Rutte and being expelled from the right-wing Liberals.

Parliament

She lost her seat in parliament at the last general election but TON took around 50 seats in the most recent local elections.

Van der Putte said Verdonk had spoken to Geert Wilders, leader of the PVV, and was recommending remaining TON members and councillors switch to supporting the anti-Islam party.

Verdonk herself was not available for comment, the Volkskrant said.

Indeed TON has been replaced by the clearly anti- Islam party, the PVV. But Verdonk did her share of damage to the international reputation of NL when she threatened to take away the passport of one of her party's members (at that time), Ms. Hirsi Ali (claiming she was here illegally), and caused big problems around this in the Dutch parliament - sufficiently disgracing NL even further in order to push her own agenda forward. As I said Wilders has claimed that spot now in the Netherlands, with the added punch of specifically targeting all Muslims in the country and alienating them. Yep, very progressive here folks! uh huh

By Bill | 22 October 2011 6:57 AM

She had become a nobody in politics, but i'm still glad that she is now officially gone from the scene.

By Geuzen76 | 22 October 2011 9:18 AM

I never actually noticed she was still in Politics the last few years.Wish I could say the same about Wilders.

By Jason | 22 October 2011 10:59 AM

Funny how good lefties never blame themselves, did ever occur to multi-cultural enthusiasts by being so unreasonable about never slowing down on mass immigration and a total unwillingness to even acknowledge this may be causing genuine problems that an unreasonable response was inevitable? Nah, of course not that would be reasonable.

By Matt C. | 22 October 2011 2:28 PM

Bill : what I don't get is this frenzy about keeping Muslims happy . The way I see it- you should thank God you have Wilders to at least try to make people see Islamists objectively. I think you, and others like you, should remember Wilders already did a pretty good job of exposing Islam for what it really is. It would make a good difference if you noticed and understood what that exposure revealed. Islam is a totalitarian ideaology, backward and they are stuck in the 7th or 6th century. They treat women like second-class citizens, have cruel religious laws and want YOU,ME and THE WORLD to live their way. Why do you want THEM around ?

By Stan | 23 October 2011 9:43 AM

Stan: opinions and attitudes like yours, that I find FILLED with FEAR and crooked sick Western JUDGEMENT, that are making this world a very difficult place to live in. Your ideas are the OPPOSITE of all that Western Christian ideology teaches, you know about accepting ALL other people and loving them, remember? Who is the hypocrite here Stan? Not the Muslims, that's for sure. Very very sad. This is why I prefer having Muslims around. There is a deep and profound sickness in your Western viewpoint. See articles about OCCUPY and the Western values and financial situation collapsing for more info. Good luck

By Bill | 24 October 2011 9:20 AM

I wonder why people are so afraid of muslims. They are just people like you and me. They are also easily manipulated by religious oppression and corrupt leadership. You should see the similarities withpeople and stop focusing on the differences. The tactics of the PVV are right of Nazi Germany and most thinking people understand this. But hold on to your fear if it makes you feel better, children.

By MIchael | 24 October 2011 9:24 AM

Stan, what I don't get are the bigots' insistence that ALL Muslims are the same. I guess that means that all Christians are too, right?

All Jews?

I'd rather have more Muslims around than more bigots because I actually know some, Stan, and they are as diverse as any people in any religious group.

And the so-called "frenzy" is merely not criminalizing people who haven't committed a crime.

By CW | 24 October 2011 11:29 AM

Stan: this is the mess which is created by Wilder that he misguide/mislead/misunderstood Islam, and he intermingle the arab culture and Islam... The meaning of Islam is Peace... the word “Islam” means submission or surrender – however, it was derived from the root word “salam”. From this root word, you can also derive the words peace and safety.

By Meh | 24 October 2011 11:32 AM

Is the weather getting better or what? What a great news!!!

By graham | 24 October 2011 1:18 PM

Matt C: when I grew up and became man, I became able to choose and control my reponses to all things in my life, be they reasonable or unreasonable. when will Wilders grow up and be able to choose and control his reactions?

By Bill | 24 October 2011 6:11 PM

There's a big difference between slowing down mass migration and introducing racist policies. Neither Rita nor Geert have discovered that yet because they are so focused on picking up the votes of xenophobes and anti-muslim racists. In which they have been incredibly successful.

Once again I am sorry that Pim Fortuyn was killed - he was the only politician I've seen who tried to have an intelligent debate on this subject.

By Kiwi | 25 October 2011 7:16 AM