Rosenthal distances himself from PVV Erdogan monkey jibe

Wednesday 14 September 2011

Foreign affairs minister Uri Rosenthal has formally distanced himself from comments by PVV MP Raymond de Roon, who described the Turkish prime minister as an 'Islamic monkey'.

The remark was made in the context of the Dutch saying daar komt de aap uit de mouw (here comes the monkey out of the sleeve) which means to reveal your true colours or intentions.

'Once again the Islamic monkey has shown himself,' De Roon said during parliamentary questions. 'This time he is in Ankara and his name is Erdogan.' De Roon was refering to what he called Turkey's anti-Israel rhetoric.

Alexander Pechtold, leader of the Liberal democrats D66, challenged Rosenthal to refute the statement. Rosenthal said De Roon had used a 'misplaced metaphor'. MPs from the ruling VVD and CDA also condemned the statement.

one of these guys is indeed behaving like a 'monkey' and it is not Erdogan or Rosenthal! sad to see a representative of this country, a person that should be an example of good values for the rest of the country, speak that way.

By Bill | 14 September 2011 3:13 PM

Did he mean islamist (extremist), rather than islamic? Even so his rhetoric was not Politically Correct. Have mohammedans said similar, or worse? How does that compare to the satanic murders of Berg, Pearl, van Goch...? What of koranic verses 7:166, 2:65, and 5:60? Did Allah "transform Jews into apes and pigs"? See this:

By Tim Bus | 14 September 2011 4:16 PM

Here it is... the "freedom of speech". I support it... Im from Turkey and I really dislike Erdogan and its party. However I want to call this PVV guy as racist rat (R2) by using my freedom of speech. Thank you Wilders for giving this opportunity to me. World became much more free in terms of speech after your court case :)

By FreedomOfSpeech | 14 September 2011 5:42 PM

Putting aside the question whether it was politically correct or not, you have to admit that de Roon has got a point.

By Jan T | 14 September 2011 9:32 PM

I read the article on one of the links above and I can answer back with thousand more links of what Jews said about Islam and Christians said about Jews and so and so till no end... As supposedly an educated man who reads you should be promoting other websites of tolerance and peace as Christ preached. Read Islam from reliable Islamic sources and you can not be a real Muslim if you are not a Jew and a Christian first. Read with your heart and not with your eyes. God Bless all.

By Karido | 15 September 2011 8:17 AM

The problem with a consensus model of politics is that one treats an act of racism in foreign politics, something very serious and concrete, as if it were merely impoliteness. This disconnection from reality is itself quite dangerous.

By JD | 15 September 2011 8:20 AM

I don't agree with the remarks, but I think it's part of the deal with free speech. To not have legitimate speech censored, it's better to have some hateful speech around untamed (in terms of being forbidden). It can't do much harm, we are well informed, and people should say what they want. Again, I found gross those statements, but I think he's entitled to say it.

By Andre L. | 15 September 2011 10:48 AM

Andre L., I think you are a Brazilian monkey. Please, dont get me wrong, I am just trying to apply your logic. Take it as a social experiment.

By Antonio Lemos Porto | 16 September 2011 10:23 AM

Talking in such way in a most Honorable place of any country at a Parliament is not acceptable..! He could talk and say whatever he likes anywhere but he can not say such a humiliating things to leader of another country at this holy place because it can cause unimaginable results which would effect not him only but entire nation.. He must learn how to talk and act in a Parliament or he must be taught in a hard way... His actions not only damaging relationship between two countries, it has huge impact on respect, image and fundamental beliefs of Dutch Parliament..

By Kingdomm | 22 September 2011 11:54 PM