Multiculturalism must go: Donner

Friday 17 June 2011

Dutch society and its values must take precedence and integration policy should go, home affairs minister Piet Hein Donner told parliament on Thursday evening during the presentation of his integration bill.

Donner spoke of a 'change of direction' in which the government 'will distance itself from the relativism contained in the model of a multicultural society'. Society changes, he said, but must not be 'interchangeable with any other form of society', according to press reports.

Ample opportunity

It is not the government's job to integrate immigrants, he said. General policy on schooling, jobs and housing gives them ample opportunity for integration.

Donner wants an end to integration policy and a tougher approach to people who ignore Dutch values or disobey the law. He is planning to introduce a law making forced marriage illegal and he wants tougher measures for immigrants who lower their chance of employment by the way they dress.

If necessary, the government will introduce extra measures to allow the removal of residence permits from immigrants who fail their integration course.

so, let me see this straight... government needs migrants and expats but no multiculturalism? well, then the only migrants this country will get are going to be low-skilled and low-class.
and if we check today, this group of people is not really recognized as champion of integration. they might speak the language, but what about other cultural issues?
good luck NL with that...meanwhile skilled immigrants will start going somewhere else.

By joanna | 17 June 2011 8:43 AM

"tougher measures for immigrants who lower their chance of employment by the way they dress"

While we're at it, let's criminalize dressing in a sexually provocative way, because it might result in woman being attacked and using up social resources with their medical, police, and court costs.

Is this guy for real? If Muslims are being discriminated against for not pretending they're fundamentalist christians, the problem is NOT in how they are dressing.

By valentijn | 17 June 2011 8:45 AM

Although I am myself an "immigrant", I tend to agree with Mr. Donner. Immigrants to a country must blend and adapt in their adopted countries. Sometimes the law of the jungle works better than the big-brother hand of a socialist government.

By Kalajutu | 17 June 2011 8:55 AM

This is so much the complete wrong approach! people must feel welcome and be encouraged to integrate and take part in society, not forced to!! This is so Dutch, let's not enforce any rules until everything has reached the point of no return, then let's force people to 'obey'

By Bill | 17 June 2011 9:21 AM

I am very shocked about this initiative !

One thing is to say that immigrant who do not respect the law must go home, which is correct.
But trying to say that an immigrant is illegal because he dressed differently from an alleged Dutch "dress value" is a step toward homophobia.
Few extreme cases should not dictate the rule for most of good and honest people who have moved to Holland to work and gain their bread.
The first step toward integration is mutual respect of each person values.

By marc | 17 June 2011 9:21 AM

We are all aware of "dutch tolerance" but I would like to know officially what "dutch values" are.

By AW | 17 June 2011 9:26 AM

Obviously Donner has no idea of the original meaning of Multiculturalism. He follows the tabloid media and agenda-group version.

We want integration, not assimiliation, which in a way is a crime.

By Donny vdH | 17 June 2011 10:18 AM

The Dutch governement should absolutely revoke the residence permits of anyone who doesn't ride an oma fiets, who doesn't eat a broodje kaaas everyday for lunch except on fridays, who doesn't use the words lekker and leuk as their prime vocabulary, all men who don't wear ill-fitting suits and pointy brown shoes, all women over 30 who don't look more like men than men do, all those who know how to queue, who don't bump into everyone the pass in the streets, who go to concerts to talk through it, and anyone who isn't absolutely boorish.

By NotImpressed | 17 June 2011 10:21 AM

Tough, but right.
When you are in Rome, behave like Romans. If you don't like it, just leave.

The problem is, since years, when country needed, people were welcomed with the slogan "multicultural society". Come and fix my roads, build my house, clean my streets. We will live together happy. Now the rules are going to be changed. Someone have to be compensated for this.

By Al | 17 June 2011 10:48 AM

I fai lto understand why are the contrymen nurturing the Anti-Imigrant policy.. Thiese statments has a far reaching impact on the highly educated imigrants. If you are not going to make them feel welcome here .its going to backfire you sonner or latter.. I pity the short-sightedness of the people involved in the Parlimentary procedures..

By Raju Kandpal | 17 June 2011 12:02 PM

Dutch "values" ? If I wear wooden shoes , drown my frites in mayonnaise and talk loudly in trains about the 'Marokkaanse' and how everything is just too expensive, will they let me keep my permit? What a goddamn insult.....

By Edward Ka-Spel | 17 June 2011 3:44 PM

Good to see someone with some common sense in the government.

By Sarah | 17 June 2011 4:40 PM

Sounds like the Dutch government is at war with itself and its citizens... and suffering from bipolar disorder. Make up your mind Holland.

By Quince | 17 June 2011 4:49 PM

Well..well..it is getting tougher and tougher,eh?and what its mean by 'and he wants tougher measures for immigrants who lower their chance of employment by the way they dress'?

By student | 17 June 2011 5:23 PM

FINALLY someone is talking sense... I am an expat and I come to this country with full respect for Dutch values and culture...it is a DUTCH country and why should they always have to compromise??

By VC | 17 June 2011 6:14 PM

Interesting. I just found another reason to leave Netherlands after I finish my Doctoral. You Dutch people don't need non-Dutch experts and professionals, you just need Dutch cheese apparently. It would be wise if he at least differentiates between useless migrants and professionals !

By Roy | 17 June 2011 6:14 PM

immigrants who lower their chance of employment by the way they dress? can someone explain?

By NR | 17 June 2011 7:08 PM

The more I read news from Netherlands, the more I realize how small minded country it is going to be. What is this! The world is beginning to be a huge country without borders and Dutch government still thinking about small issues on very small amount of foreigners that are actually problematic. Wake up Netherlands, the world is changing, you still think like you are powerful as 50 years ago, but not anymore. China, Brazil, Turkey is going to be the new leaders of the world while you are sleeping with those integration problems that YOU actually created. Believe me, as a foreign guy who has a PhD, these statements only piss off the educated foreigners to move away fromNL.

By Cjevher | 17 June 2011 7:45 PM

This guy is simply crazy...he does not what government involvement in integration, yet he turns around and wants the same government to remove residence permits...hypocrites always speak from both side of their mouths...

The minister overlooks a major obstacle against successful integration: discrimination (in the job market place, in education, in housing)...there is something the government could entertain itself with...

By LDH | 17 June 2011 7:55 PM

Is time for the people of the Netherlands and Europe to take a another look at Quentin Tarentino's film "Inglorious Bastards."

By BizzaroNL | 17 June 2011 8:52 PM

Shameful to hear these news. Onthe contrary Dutch people need integration courses for how to live together with other cultures.I am embarrassed to live in this country anymore. Please concentrate on income gap, wealth and for better economy instead.

By Arman | 18 June 2011 9:26 AM

Firstly, P Hein Donner told parliament "integration must go" & "it's not the governments job to intigrate immigrants".
But the Gov. may take measures to remove those who fail to intigrate. Doesn't the article say that intigration policy must go??
Or can Hein Donner not remember where he started?
Secondly, he wants tougher measures for those who lower their chance of work by the way they dress. So if (eg)a muslim woman fails to secure a job because the employer doesn't like her headscarf he will punnish the applicant for being a victim of discrimination? Anyone familiar with European Imperialist history will recognise the tactic of blaming the victim for their position!
Are we still using "the white mans burden"?

By Donaugh | 18 June 2011 10:16 AM

What I am most distressed about with this development, is that his rascist stance is so acceptable, that it can be preached to Parliament. Does anyone really believe he means to crack down on Dutch citizens who wear baggy pants, don't clean up after their dogs, or ignore traffic signals? Of course not: he doesn't mean gang-related clothes or NLers who speak Dutch so badly they need to be subtitled - he's going after headscarves again, while trying not to be affiliated with GW. Nice try.

By Donna | 18 June 2011 10:18 AM

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. this idea sounds fair to me. Nothing wrong with wanting not to become the UK and their immigration woes.

By TomKat | 18 June 2011 1:48 PM

It'll be a bummer when you have to send all the tulips back to Turkey, eh Donner?

By CW | 18 June 2011 2:30 PM

too late, i am afraid. But copy Denmark's immigration laws, and then perhaps you have a chance.

By morten olesen | 18 June 2011 11:28 PM

First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew;
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out for me.
– Pastor Martin Niemöller

By a.m.devries | 19 June 2011 8:50 AM

So my grand-father who was Historian and other great analysts are right: Dutch are and will always be the most racist people in Europe.
During the WWII, and without asking Hitler asking them anything, they deported and killed a bigger proportion of their jew citizen.
Today, they have the strongest racist party in the government, and the most extreme of Europe from which originates most propaganda. Not only the laws but also the polls shows that the vast majority of Dutch is racist as well.

By anon | 19 June 2011 12:59 PM

As an expat from US I moved to Netherlands in 2006
I think the people have an intellegence and honesty that the sheeple in US are lacking.
If you would read the gov/stats titled "race and crime in US" one will get a good idea of what
went wrong in America.
Queens day in Amsterdam (even though I'am not Dutch)was a very moving day for me I felt like I was with my "people".
I hope the Dutch never lose their country as we did in America.

By johan | 20 June 2011 7:51 PM

I remember when people did walk around naked, and the police did nothing. And police told motorists if there was a parking spot avalibale somewhere near, now the police give you a ticket for parking. Why is it things were much better then?

By BOBAmsterdam | 29 June 2011 4:49 PM

Minister Donner, perhaps the politician who has done the most harm to his own people in recent history. As Minister for Justice, he was a disaster, then under him we had the maasive attempted fraud of self-employed by him, until the Ombudsman told him to stop. It took a further few years for him to return the money. Now this biggot from the CDA (although he fits better by the PVV) wants to tell us all how to dress and advise on er, crime? Maybe he would care to advise us how to get into high positions with a track record as atrocious as his. This diabolical man is every bit as slippery and dangerous as Wilders.

By Andy | 29 June 2011 9:51 PM

Guys, please, please do not talk in vein. Define what "Dutch values" for everybody to know what are you talking about. It is so easy to hide behind generic words, that everybody thinks know what they mean, but in fact have no idea. Be specific! Say we do not want forced marriage, we do not want fully dressed women, etc. Otherwise you are just promoting hate. Dont you see that the government just want to cut budgets? It is so easy to hate and blame the different one, but are we not supposed to be all different. Isn't it this the beauty of life: diversity?

By Ada | 30 June 2011 7:00 AM