Satnav maker TomTom 'helps' police set speed traps (update)

Wednesday 27 April 2011

Satellite navigation system maker TomTom indirectly sells details of motorists’ driving behaviour to the police for use in determining where speed traps should be placed, the AD reports on Wednesday.

Almost half the country’s police forces use this method of deciding where to put cameras and speed checks, the paper says.

The company’s terms and conditions make it clear that information gleaned from the sat nav systems can be sold to other companies. TomTom sells the information to an intermediary which in turn sells it on to the police.

A spokesman for TomTom told the Telegraaf the company was unaware what the information was being used for. 'This is a bit of an unpleasant surprise. We did not know,' the spokesman said. 'We have to decide what we think about this.'

TomTom issued a profit warning on Wednesday following disappointing sales of its satnav systems in the US.

The company booked net profit of €11m in the first three months of this year on sales down 1.1% at €265m.

Now TomTom is out of my shopping list forever. Not that I am a speeding driver but because they sell information of what I am doing.
It was too nice about that TomTom Live subscription but their real goal was to turn you in to the police.
Shame TomTom.

By lex | 27 April 2011 8:56 AM

....and to think I was just about to buy one..thanks for the info, now I will save my money.

By alanposting | 27 April 2011 10:21 AM

Let's buy GPS's from Garmin.

By Peter | 27 April 2011 12:18 PM

So that will be the death of TomTom now I think once everyone reads this.

By Andy | 27 April 2011 5:07 PM

Well, if TomTom's was concerned about a 1.1% slide in its Q1 its going to be panic stricken when they see the Q2's results. It's difficult to believe they had no idea how and for what their data was being used -- like any commercial company, TomTom calculates the sales price of their data on the bases of how it is used and the profit potential it has for the customer.

By Quince | 27 April 2011 5:42 PM

Yet another gadget that will finish up in the cupboard, or only get switched on when I need to know how to reach a particular destination, and then only when I'm nearing the end point. Still, at least the police would still have to prove it was me driving and given it's a portable device, this may give reasonable doubt. Can't understand Tom-Tom's policy here; expect their shareprice to tumble tomorrow.

By JonG | 27 April 2011 5:52 PM

And this morning there's a damage limitation mail from Tom-Tom in my inbox. Guess who's worried about their image and loss of market share? Pre-emptive transparancy in who has access to their data would have eliminated the need for panic reactions.

By JonG | 28 April 2011 6:47 AM

And you think Garmin is not doing this too?

By Marc | 28 April 2011 11:20 AM

I am very happy that I bought a MIO navigator. My TomTom One Europe is the last one that I will buy. Shame also for to the mail they delivered to my private mail address with an explenation on why they did it signed by mr. Harold Goddijn CEO TomTom.

By Alberto | 28 April 2011 8:26 PM

the police would have got the info one way or another...if you don't want to get caught "accidentally speeding" just put it on cruise control at the speed limit.

By Todd | 28 April 2011 8:44 PM

Supported, bye-bye TomTom and hallo Navigon!! Its so simple with an iPhone :-)

By Johan | 29 April 2011 6:27 AM

I reckon its the latest devices that only "upload" data via their simcards. Won't be buying one of those, then, unless TomTom changes its terms and conditions.

By Jon | 29 April 2011 11:50 AM