Gay married couples less likely to divorce than straight

Monday 28 March 2011

Gay couples account for just under 2% of all marriages in the Netherlands but account for just 1% of divorces, according to new figures from the national statistics office.

However, only one in five gay and lesbian couples are married, compared with four out of five heterosexual couples, the CBS said. The Netherlands has some 55,000 gay and 4.1 million heterosexual couples, the organisation says.

Gay marriage was legalised in the Netherlands 10 years ago on April 1.

Since then and January 1, 2011, 14,813 gay couples have tied the knot.

The reason is pretty simple. Whatever legitimate rights they get, they barely get any acceptance in the society. While the straights find easy to find another partner, in this case, it is pretty hard to get into another relationship.

By Sad | 28 March 2011 11:17 AM

As a gay man I can tell you that is completely the opposite, Sad. It is very easy for gays to live in the Netherlands. I wish the country was as tolerant to Muslims as it was to gays.

By pepe C | 28 March 2011 3:43 PM

Tolerant to Muslims??...Are you talking about the Netherlands of Geert Wilders??

I am sorry, I think I am really hallucinating here...

By Saladin | 28 March 2011 4:43 PM

I think you should read my comment again, Saladin, because I have a feeling you misunderstood.

And the Netherlands of Geert Wilders consists of only 12,5% of the voters, according to the latest elections.

By pepe C | 28 March 2011 5:58 PM

To pepe C: How about muslims being more tolerant of gay men & women in Holland? I have personally experienced verbal & physical abuse in Amsterdam from several members of the so-called religion of "peace" when I've walked hand in hand with my Dutch husband on more than one occasion. So have friends of ours [male & female], also. What good is "gay" marriage in the Netherlands if you're harassed for personal freedom of expression by our "peaceful" muslim "brothers and sisters"?

By ezzie | 28 March 2011 6:13 PM

Pepe C..Sorry, I was not referring to your comment...I was simply referring to the mentality of your average PVV'er nowadays..

And Ezzie, sure you have your mindless, ignorant Muslim here and there...is that reason enough to tar everyone with the same brush? sorry but I think statistics have proven that Gays get harassed more by local native Dutch than anyone else..Again, this is not a Muslim problem...it is a mentality and education problem.

By Saladin | 29 March 2011 8:04 AM

Some homophobic Muslims aren't ALL Muslims, just as some PVV voting Dutch aren't ALL Dutch.

Sweeping generalizations are not helpful.

By CW | 29 March 2011 9:46 AM