Marks & Spencer may come back

Wednesday 03 November 2010

British high street chain Marks & Spencer is reassessing its international ambitions and may come back to the Netherlands, the company’s new Dutch boss says in an interview with business weekly FEM.

‘That cannot be ruled out. We are looking at all foreign markets. But it will not happen on emotional grounds, simply because I am Dutch,’ Mark Bolland told the magazine.

Marks & Spencer closed its operations in The Hague and Amsterdam in 2001.

Bolland takes over the helm at M&S next year.

I hope to be their first customer, welcome back.

By Jim Tait | 3 November 2010 10:03 AM

Yea, please come back. I am tired of low quality clothing at V&D and the overpriced clothing at Bijenkorf.

By david | 3 November 2010 10:22 AM

Appears they have learnt lessons after shutting down "Western" outlets and moving to low-cost Asian markets.

Anyway, nice to see them back in NL!

By AD | 3 November 2010 3:09 PM

I for one can't wait for teabags, christmas puddings, mince pies and curries. You can take the boy out of England, but etc etc...

By Adam | 3 November 2010 4:21 PM

I worry that my taste buds won't be able to survive normal M&S food any more after years of boiled cabbage.

By andrew | 3 November 2010 4:35 PM

Please come back, quality and style once again at good prices, I was in V&D last week and their jeans are made from very thin cotton, like summer clothes. I go to uk often just to shop at M&S, Next and others not to mention supplies for the kitchen from Tesco and Sainsburys... so much rubbish over here in the shops ate bumped up prices! Welcome M&S....

By Andy | 3 November 2010 4:45 PM

Bring back the food halls.

You can buy clothes from M&S by mail order.
The clothes stocked in M&S in the Netherlands last time around was what made them lose money.
The food halls were always packed.

By Martin | 3 November 2010 4:49 PM

It would be fantastic to have M&S in the Netherlands. I commute monthly to the UK and I always take back a supply of goodies from M&S with me. A sore in or around Maastricht would be a perfect location.

By Mmary McLoughlin | 3 November 2010 8:30 PM

Yeeeahhhh....Set up an online petition Rob...

By Jennifer | 3 November 2010 8:31 PM

Not sure I'm interested in Marks & Sparks clothing, but would be very happy if their food department arrived. The kids are more interested in the new Primark opening this month in Hoofddorp.

By Martin Cleaver | 3 November 2010 8:54 PM

I was directly involved in many openings of the Continental stores inc. Amsterdam and The Hague after a learning curve they became more and more "Dutch" in clothing but the food depts. were the specialities. Closing the Continental stores was the biggest mistake and costliest ever.Several Food emphasis stores should do well. Amsterdam/The Hague/Maastricht/Utrecht/Groningen.

By K. ter Braak | 4 November 2010 10:08 AM

Great! I can stop shopping online. love M&S

By AW | 4 November 2010 10:53 AM

Yes please. I like the clothes especially for adults and children and the food choice was great. Den Haag really needs a Marks & Spencers!!!!

By Norah | 4 November 2010 4:23 PM

oh please lord please

By ll | 4 November 2010 7:31 PM

That would be like opening the door to a close friend and would certainly help with the irregular bouts of homesickness - M&S please come back!!

By Lucie Johnson | 10 November 2010 3:32 PM

In 2001 when they left, I didn't have a microwave yet. Now I do and am pining for M&S Indian meals! Food halls, yes; clothes, absolutely. Can't wait! C&A, V&D, H&M: I never succeed anywhere, but I always did at M&S!

By Maaike | 7 February 2011 1:40 PM

The British ladies at the Pickwick club in Rotterdam would L O V E Marks and Sparks to come back !!!!
Proper underwear & good food :~))

By Jenny Cockshull | 4 May 2011 7:05 PM

Please come back to Holland. We miss you! Come to Rotterdam, an international city par excellence.
There's nothing to beat M&S underwear in the whole wide world. Online mail order is all very fine, but you can't try on a bra online!!

By Jane | 5 May 2011 5:26 AM