Cycling to work gets a boost

Tuesday 30 November 2010

The transport ministry is to part fund 16 major regional cycle tracks to stimulate people to go to work by bike, transport minister Melanie Schultz van Haegen told MPs on Tuesday.

The routes, which have a combined budget of €80m, will be around 15 km long. The aim is to encourage people to leave their cars at home and so reduce congestion.

The routes include links between Amsterdam and Haarlem, Rotterdam and The Hague and around Utrecht.

The government will provide €21m of the funding. The rest will come from provincial and local councils, the minister said.

Cheap lifestyle gets a boost.

I meant 18th century lifestyle.

Grow up you people.

By david | 30 November 2010 10:08 AM

I already started missing Mr. Eurlings... this investment is non-sense. Money would be better invested in new or widened autosnelweg. 15km is too much for people to bike to work, particularly with the wet climate we have in Netherlands! Gas taxes are so high, one of highest in Europe, we should have far more autosnelweg projects going on!

By Andre L. | 30 November 2010 11:04 AM

I do not quite understand, there are plenty of routes between The Hague and Rotterdam and I don't think there are many people enjoying an almost 60 km return trip on a daily basis, considering lousy weather and strong winds

By expat | 30 November 2010 1:38 PM

how about funding a bike!!

By amy | 30 November 2010 3:36 PM

I would love to ride a bike!

But ... I cannot as I am a bit of a wobbly cripple and if, no, when I fall over and injure myself I cost the Dutch Health Care system a small fortune. No! I'm stucvk with my roelstol-auto (car).

By Gerard | 1 December 2010 2:28 PM

It's well-known that building more roads simply encourages more traffic. And where would you put the new roads in this crowded country?

I bike a 30km round trip to work most days. I also have a car, but I prefer the bike ride to sitting in endless traffic.

By brit | 1 December 2010 7:20 PM