Wilders to take council seat in the Hague

Monday 08 March 2010

Geert Wilders is to take a seat on the Hague city council after winning 13,000 preference votes in last week's local elections.

Earlier Wilders, who is a sitting MP, said he would not take up a seat if he won. His anti-Islam party PVV emerged as the second biggest party in the political capital, with 17% of the vote.

'I am going to see if I can combine it. I will give it a go for a while,' Wilders was reported as saying.

The news means two of the eight PVV councillors in the Hague's new city council will combine their work with being members of parliament.

I suppose I still just do not understand the Nederlands government.
I guess I cannot believe that the position of MP is NOT a full time job.

As well, one could make the 'conflict of interest' argument to such a situation.

My comment and disbelief has nothing to do with my feelings for Mr Wilders or the PVV. I just view such a system as a little absurd; no matter the party affiliation.

By wilber | 8 March 2010 4:27 PM

It is my great anticipation that Wilder will ruin the multicultural atmosphere of Hague.
Why people promote Hate, i really do not know.

By Mehmood | 8 March 2010 5:45 PM

A good thing!
I hope Wilders will get a lot more
votes, to save the Netherlands from
Islam!

By Boer Th.M. | 8 March 2010 9:44 PM

This shows his determination to destroy democracy invading the democratic institutions. The City Council and the City Hall will become like a Military Fort due to the security requirement of the 'Master of Polarization'.

He is intending to become victorious at any cost and that is called desperation which ultimately would help his down-fall.But unfortunately he seams to be the only winner of the coming general elections and non of the other political actors are in position to stop him entering as a sole winner!

By Khalid Ahmed Chaudry | 9 March 2010 12:09 AM

Mr.Boer: Wilder is doing same mistake what Bush has done; Bush get vote through producing fear. and do not forget Hitler also who also get power to save Germany from Jews.

By Mehmood | 9 March 2010 6:17 AM

This shows the determination of Mr. Wilders to PROTECT democracy and the democratic institutions. The City Council and the City Hall will work for the welfare of the citizens.
He will be victorious because he has the best projects for our country.

By Gretechen Von K├Ânig | 25 March 2010 1:21 AM