Dutch police develop mobile body scans

Friday 08 January 2010

Rotterdam police are trying to develop a portable scanner which will allow them to see through people's clothing and look for concealed weapons, the NRC reports on Friday.

The force has been given a €500,000 government grant to develop the mobile weapons detector, which would use similar technology to the scanners being introduced at Amsterdam's Schiphol airport, the paper says.

The aim is to develop a prototype ready for production within three years.

The paper bases its claim on a confidential document which suggests the scanner could first be used as an alternative to random body searches in high risk areas. The mobile detector would enable the search to be carried out more quickly and would only be used on people suspected of carrying concealed weapons, police spokesman Paul De Kruijf told the paper.

The document also mentions the possibility of carrying out long-distance scans and mass scans on crowds at events such as football matches. In addition, the scan could be combined with a sniffer detector which would analyse an 'air sample' from a suspect for traces of drugs or explosives, the paper says.

Giampiero Gerini, a professor at Eindhoven University of Technology told the paper the technology to develop such scans is now mature. 'The biggest challenge is making it portable and ensuring it can carry out a scan in seconds,' the NRC quotes him as saying.

Welcome to prison earth Dutch style.

By Robert | 8 January 2010 3:21 PM

So people do you see how they operate now!!! first they scare you with underpant bomber. then airport body scanner put in place , now the portable scanner, its not Epson scanner you know,this stuff radioactive which cause cancer. I think most of you wuold know who gets benefit from all these scams.

By Zen | 8 January 2010 3:46 PM

I can't imagine that footage from these devices, captured with a mobile phone, will ever make it onto the web. Seriously, what an insane violation of privacy. And before anyone asks, yes, I will take whatever risks come if this sort of thing isn't around, thank you.

By Kris | 8 January 2010 3:59 PM

Great! It means when i'm walking down the street with a camera, mini tripod and multi-tool in my bag i'm going to get stopped and have agents Jan and Henk rummaging through my belongings.

By Geuzen76 | 8 January 2010 5:16 PM

It seems there will be a market for clothes impervious to this device. I thought carrying an identity card or passport everywhere was bad enough, now they want to see every part of us.

By Rolf Van Bos | 9 January 2010 3:00 PM

Welcome to "1984" Comerads. The "Thought Police" now can control all aspects of the Proletariate. I like the entrepeneural idea of impervious clothing. Arrestable offense?

By Catherine Moseley | 10 January 2010 8:05 PM

I think Paul De Kruijf and Giampiero Gerini should demonstrate how non invasive this technology is by posting scanned images of themselves maybe they would be interested in peoples opinion then?

By ORF | 10 January 2010 10:18 PM

I've written ab. 500 articles in english and swedish about this and similar subject. Please check it out for transforming awareness...
www.metrobloggen.se/kevinzaar

By kevin zaar | 11 January 2010 6:47 PM

A good thing, can't they built in a lie-detector in it as well, while they at it? Do you carry a bomb? No sir. Piep Piep...your Lie-ing. Just an idee...

By Bodyscan | 11 January 2010 10:38 PM

Well, this seals the deal for me. I lived in Amsterdam bijna drie jaar and left many good friends all over NL. Unfortunately, I won't be coming back to visit them. It's bad enough to be virtually strip-searched going through the airport, but soon it will happen walking down the street. Neither my family, nor our tourism Euros, will ne going to NL. It is my sincere hope that more people will boycott tourism in NL. Be prepared for tax increases to pay for more invasion of privacy and lost tourism revenue. It amazes me how the Dutch tell you that NL is the land of liberalism and freedom. What is actually is, is a police state. The citizenry is allowed to exist because the government allows them to. It should be the other way around and the government should only exist because the people allow them to. The NL is turning into the US.

By Tim | 12 January 2010 1:39 AM

Hello! This got all to do with getting controle and intimidation over everybody! What will be next? A LAW on chipping everybody standard at birth? What are your believes?

By Rhode | 16 January 2010 11:53 AM

Its a good thing for the safety of all people. Ass long as there are lonetics out there like in Alphen a.d. Rijn its simply nessecary.

By Sanne | 14 April 2011 10:01 PM

I agree with you Sann. Osama is dead. The next terrorist leader is standing in line already. Give every travellar a total bodyscan. It may prevent more problems.

By Arnoudt | 6 May 2011 11:59 PM