'Supermarkets set to refuse cash'

Thursday 11 June 2009

Dutch supermarkets are hoping to phase out the use of cash by 2014, the Financieele Dagblad reports on Thursday, quoting the retail board CBL.

The aim of the ban on cash is to make supermarkets less vulnerable to armed robberies, the paper says.

According to CBL research, 87% of customers support moves to stimulate the use of direct debit cards.

The Telegraaf reports that €10bn of supermarket total turnover of over €30bn last year was in cash. Supermarkets had to deal with 200 'incidents', ranging from a grab at the cash register to armed robbery, the paper said.

Other solutions will be found for customers who do not want to use direct debit cards, a CBL spokesman said. 'Technology is making enormous advances. Trials are also being done with payment by mobile phone, but you can also pay with a finger print or iris scan,' the spokesman said.

The Dutch consumers association said the move was 'going too far'.

Excellent, so tourists, anyone without a Dutch debit account and anyone whose account is low on funds won't be able to buy groceries! If the third of customers presently paying by cash go to local shops instead, it will serve the supermarkets right.

By Craig | 11 June 2009 11:34 AM

Orwells 1984 is a bit late. Eliminating money transactions is pathetic excuse to curb robberies. Please go back to the drawing board in favour of the people and not the banks.

By Paul Martin | 11 June 2009 12:28 PM

hopefully by that time we will stop using supermarket anyway !

By paul | 11 June 2009 1:34 PM

So now we will be just down to our pin passes to buy all the great items that proliferate the shelves at Dutch grocery stores. Wow!

By TomKat | 11 June 2009 1:34 PM

years ago when I was in Holland for a job. I went to park my car in this nice town, I will leave this town nameless. But I parked in the parking garage and when I went to leave I noticed that you had to pay with a chip card!!!! No coins allowed!! STUPID IDEA!! Dutch people are so nice that one lady traded me coins for card usage, or maybe I still would be there lol.. I don't have a chip card, I do not live in Holland.. Now I notice that has been changed. I hope they don't do something this stupid again using grocery stores... There are loads of people that come to Holland for vacation, work, ect ect...They do not have the cards...THINK PEOPLE!! Really bad idea...

By DR | 11 June 2009 1:44 PM

A close reading of the 13th chapter of the book of Revelation should give the reader cause to find this move as moving toward a "cashless society", of course under the guise of "beneficial" or "necessary."

By bet | 11 June 2009 1:58 PM

It makes sense for the Super Market because it will receive additional funds from the banking institution that the persons Debit Card is from, once again putting the screws on the "user".

What happens to the person that has bad credit and past banking problems and can't have a card/bank account? or Doesn't this happen in the Netherlands?

By lb | 11 June 2009 2:19 PM

Does this also mean that grocery stores other than Dirk are going to enter the 20th century (never mind the 21st) and start accepting credit cards for payment too?

Or should I not bother to hold my breath?

By CW | 11 June 2009 3:03 PM

I really wouldn't worry. They might not give a monkey about what their customers want, but they won't sit and wait for their profits to drop as their customers march with their wallets towards cash-friendly rival stores.

By osita | 11 June 2009 3:24 PM

This is probably another way of trying to keep foreigners out. Foreign cash cards don't work in most supermarkets, when you move here it's not a 5 minute job to get a bank account and thus a local cash card.
The first month i moved here I couldn't eat in the office canteen because it didn't accept cash and I didn't have a chip card and I couldn't use a cash card. I couldn't buy train tickets at the machine and had to pay the surcharge at the ticket desk because the machines didn't accept foreign cash cards. Thankfully I could withdraw cash at the ATM to do the shopping or rely on my partner who'd been living here longer and had the necessary plastic.
I appreciate technology and reducing risk but they do tend to go too far and it does often look as if it's a ploy to ward off the foreigners.

By LS | 11 June 2009 3:26 PM

You can't serve everybody's needs. I suspect that the supermarkets will also have to accept credit cards as they do in France and elsewhere... that will surely boost the cost of groceries. As far as people who don't have bank cards or bank accounts, bad credit, etc... I guess life is going to get that much harder. Oy!

By Bryan | 11 June 2009 3:35 PM

It is a good idea but lots of people do small transaction less than 5 euros. I'm sure they will not like to pay transaction/administration charge for such a small transaction. It is not a good idea. But they can make a rule that if the transaction is more than 50 euros you need to use Debit card else no.

By Sam | 11 June 2009 3:48 PM

Great idea!!! this will make many people to start buying from small shops and many families and small business will be able to raise more money over people that they don't really need more money like the investors of Albert Hein or Lidl! Very very good idea, I really hope that they will go on!

By Themis | 11 June 2009 3:54 PM

Always the banks, banks, banks. Rarely, if ever, the consumer/customer

By FHF | 11 June 2009 4:15 PM

Glad I avoid the supermarkets as much as I can.

By Kris | 11 June 2009 4:37 PM

Dutch thinking just kills me sometimes!LOL!!

By Priscilla | 11 June 2009 4:46 PM

A society thinking of phasing out payment by cash doesn't want people to visit her which means Dutch companies will produce their products themselves and consume them by themselves. WHAT A STUPID IDEA.

By Ade | 11 June 2009 5:00 PM

Has there been a sudden rise in supermarket crime to justify this move? I don't think so. This is just another way for supermarket chains to streamline their operations for their own financial gain, and to get buyers to spend more because purchasing with plastic (as most of us know) is not as painful as handing over real dosh. In addition, it would encourage crooks to target card users more, and use the threat of violence to obtain the PINs.

So...get into debt quicker, run the risk of having your card stolen, or worse and continue to pay the inexorable rising prices of supermarket goods.

Fair deal, anyone?

By Andrew | 11 June 2009 5:15 PM

Pathetic,Stupid,So how much is charged on top of this scheme in bank administration costs.I know that the dutch like using pin.But,whilst the option of cash is there,then Banks wont be able to alter rates at will.This is allways the case when a monoply controls.The Netherlands best be careful or it will sink as a country.

By julian | 11 June 2009 8:41 PM

I agree that it could be a problem for holiday makers, but I think it is a good idea. For those without Bank Cards, etc the supermarket could place a small machine by which a customer could then convert his/her cash to a card or a chip (like a prepaid card.

if you ask me to chose between supermarket and family shops, I would definitely go to a family shop.

By yugtrams | 11 June 2009 11:11 PM

Use of cards entails a fee to the corporation issuing the card. Many people, even Dutch, do not have cards, but survive on the cash economy.

This is an attempt to enrich fee and tax collecting entities (banks and governments). Government is supposed to help protect against violations against life and property.

Despite the greater extent of drugs prohibiton, the US does not have a serious problem with supermarket robbery. Smart businessmen use cash drops and video cameras.

Government has manipulated and corrupted the banking system to try substituting fake money for real money (ie gold and silver).

By Kevin Bjornson | 12 June 2009 2:51 AM

And what happens to all the hapless backpackers like myself who live in Amsterdam for a month or two on cash jobs because we aren't staying long enough to get a SOFI number? I happily spent my income boosting the economy shopping and drinking but I couldn't have gotten a pin card! BOO!

By Kate | 12 June 2009 2:57 PM

so will we trade and barter in beads then

By adhd | 12 June 2009 5:09 PM

And if your pin card stops working or is lost you will starve whilst your bank takes a week or two to replace it? Great. Time to start stockpiling a little canned food I think.

By Marc | 14 June 2009 6:54 PM

Wow !!! 200 Armed Robberies a year ???
Cancel my flight.
I'm staying here in Chicago where it's Safe. ;)

By Denarius | 14 June 2009 9:38 PM

Why doesn't it surprise me that the Bilderberger state (Queen Beatrix) is making the move towards total control. Prevention of robberies is a lie and a feeble excuse to make people believe it is for their own good. It's the preparation for having the chips with ALL your personal details (including your finances) implanted. So they can keep track of you, starve you if you do not comply (just turn off the money supply via the chip). People wake up, the Queen is part of the evil kabal who wants to control everyone as slaves and help reduce the population. Don't take my word for it, do your research.

By Hannah | 16 June 2009 2:30 AM

... and if they think you're making too many waves (protest too much) they'll just turn off your card and you become a non-person. Fingerprints, iris scans? Biometrics on a chip and in a central computer?

Do the people of Holland understand what slippery slope they are getting on?

By Peter | 16 June 2009 3:35 AM

None, free or bond, rich or poor, should buy or sell, lest he should receive the Mark in his right hand or forehead"..This is real..now can you see?

By Romantic Violence | 16 June 2009 4:03 PM

What? You lot only thinking about doing by 2014? Better come to Australia where this is already being trialed (with credit cards/bank debit cards).

Dont know about the dutch system, but here in Australia customers will have to scan their own items - immediate result? Loss of a job(s) for someone.

The other outcome? national currency therefore no longer legal tender.

The final outcome? Greater profits for the supermarkets - fewer workers to pay plus kickbacks from the banks/credit companies for refusing cash. (this on top of the monopolistic ability of supermarkets to force growers/producers to accept the price that the supermarkets offers for their goods). Good for the banks too - huge rise in profits through account fees etc.

By Golden Pirate | 16 June 2009 4:19 PM

what's next....let's welcome the anti christ??..Holland is set for this anti christ then....read the Book of REvelation (last chapter of the bible, these things will happen then, Jesus comes back!!! Amen!!

By maria angela | 17 June 2009 5:15 AM

Oh no! now when I buy condoms etc there will be a record of the transaction! Hmmm, guess shoplifting is the only way around that.

By Kieth Thompson | 17 June 2009 12:09 PM

After enough people are victims of stolen debit cards and pin numbers, identity theft,the next logical choice is MICRO-CHIP IMPLANTS. Great idea folks.

By Sheldon | 17 June 2009 12:15 PM

People could save so much money by buying on the Internet and grocery stores only have processed junk with preservatives. This is why so many are sick in America and Western countries.

By joe bassett | 17 June 2009 5:08 PM

When you can't use cash will people still have yard sales? There is a way to beat this. One thing you can grow your own food. You can make solar panels and wind turbines to cancel electric bill. You can make your own clothes like jeans and T-shirts. So yuo can eliminate a lot of need to even use credit cards.

By jeff cook | 17 June 2009 5:15 PM

Hey, here's a thought. Instead of trampling all over the privacy of law-abiding individuals, why not do more to eliminate criminal behavior and/or raise the penalty for committing such crimes?

Oh, wait, the robbery issue was just a smokescreen you say? Never woulda guessed...

I would hope that the Dutch people are too smart to allow themselves to be herded along towards this Orwellian future, but people everywhere seem far too gullible to claims that privacy-invading technologies are for their own safety or convenience.

By chartreuse jones | 17 June 2009 7:55 PM

Its time to grow more food, and end the reliance on these vast unwanted corps. Get back to our roots, local food barter with neighbours, break the stranglehold. We are far more powerful than we are lead to believe. Boycott them, they would back down in seconds and meakly accept cash.

By Lindzi | 17 June 2009 9:39 PM

Yeah that's gonna be a nice society waiting for old ladies to bend over and have their iris scanned, or finger printed. This also limits of the plausibility of data protection as a concept, just as intrinsically the freedom the Internet grants allows the possibility of data fraud, and thus by extension with the development of tech, identities, could be stolen, (phished/hacked).

By james | 19 June 2009 1:22 PM