Holloway suspect 'trafficks in women'

Friday 07 November 2008

Joran van der Sloot, the young man believed to be involved the disappearance of American teenager Natalee Holloway on Aruba, is now involved in selling Thai women into prostitution, claims tv crime reporter Peter R de Vries.

De Vries won an Emmy for his tv report earlier this year in which Van der Sloot is caught on hidden camera talking about Natalee's body was dumped at sea. Holloway disappeared in 2005 and the case has never been officially solved.

Now De Vries has made a second report based on an undercover operation in Thailand, reports Friday’s Telefgraaf. The paper has seen a rough cut of the programme which is due to be shown on tv on Sunday night.

According to this latest exposé, Van der Sloot makes €10,000 for every girl he delivers to the Dutch prostitution market. The girls will work for ‘just 300 dollars a month’ he is reported as saying on camera.

During conversations taped in a hotel in Bangkok, Van der Sloot tells a man posing as a Dutch sex industry boss that he can organise visas and passports for the girls, who think they are going to the Netherlands to work as dancers.

De Vries tells the Telegraaf: ‘The pictures show how little respect this 21-year-old has for the lives of others. The fact that he goes into the trafficking of women after the disappearance of Natalee is typical of him… Making preparations for people smuggling is a crime. It could land him into big problems in Thailand.’

The programme will be broadcast on Sunday night.

For Monday's follow up to this story, click here

Well done and wellwriten. I have been following this case since the begining and I am with you, he will certainly slip and I hope you are there when he does.

By Shepherd Breaux | 10 November 2008 2:30 PM

This is so sad. I believe in innocent until proven guilty but in some instances there is no justice the first time around. If he is half the monster people believe he is then he deserves everything he has coming to him.

By Tina | 10 November 2008 3:05 PM

Peter R. de Vries however did not tell his audience (after his failed first episode called "I solved the case") that the 'prostitutes' shown on his latest show, were actually classmates of Joran, who together with him, were on a university project against women trafficking that is very common in Thailand.

They were contacted by the "undercover agent" of de Vries, in which the students agreed in doing business with this person in order to have an insight of the illegal actions.

Contrary to the OJ case, in this case, there are no evidence of a crime, a murder, a rape or even kidnapping as alledged by some media over the years. In not even one of the thousands of pages of interrogations and investigation in this case, there is any evidence of Natalee being harmed.

If you have any evidence of kidnapping, rape or murder, please contact the FBI, which is still looking for information for a missing person. Do not believe everything you see on tabloid TV.

By Mensiquie Fowler | 10 November 2008 3:31 PM

What university? What class? How was the project funded? Who is the project leader? What race are the classmates? Is there a paper on the project?
Do not believe everything you read on the internet.

By JJ | 10 November 2008 4:56 PM

Hi Mensiquie Fowler. Peter R de Vries is a very well known reporter in the Netherlands. He is very trustwordy and solved a lot of criminal cases.

Are you a friend of Joran or are you Joran van der Sloot.

I believe Peter R de Vries and appriaciate. That there are people like him warning us for the bad guy's. And trying to get get justice when the normal way to get is. is blocked.

I hope that that justice will sucseed

By Martin | 10 November 2008 6:00 PM

Mensiquie Fowler, you have been trying to spread this ridiculous story at other forums. no one is buying it -- if these alleged classmates are in Thailand, the Thai police should have no trouble locating them and interviewing them. Face facts, ole sporter's been caught once again by his own big mouth.

By mojo | 10 November 2008 6:41 PM

enough already, this reporter seems to print only what he wants, try printing all of the news.

By nonni | 11 November 2008 8:16 PM

JJ asked, "what race are the classmates" and the article was allowed to run. By definition, that's racist!!!

I only say this to make a point. Editors can deny a post if it contains what? Racist language? Ridiculous and quite socialist in nature. The very core of racist language is NOT offensive.

Can we mention gender without being sexist? Can I say I'm a man, married to a woman without being homophobic, which meaqns that I fear homosexuals?!?!

By Doug | 13 November 2008 1:46 AM

No, they were not classmates on a university project. I happen to know these two women.

They live in a small room on sukhunvit soi 10 and are cousins and are well known prostitutes in the sukhumvit road area. One was my ex girlfriend.

I called her today and discussed this with her and told her i was shocked to see this. She confirmed this was her, but said she believed that she was going to discuss legitamate work as a coyote dancer at a nightclub. She had no idea this guy was trying to sell her.

She also defended him and said that he told her the Aruba story and said he was innocent. She beliwved him and thinks he is charming and handsome...but most importantly, rich. He was renting a villa in Bangkok. He told her he had rich parents who funded everything.

I for one do not belive in his innocence, and warned her to stay away from him. The thai police can easily find her as she had to register her ID card at the reception desk of the Landmark hotel.

By Bryan Scott | 13 November 2008 5:03 AM

No racism intended. What I was getting at was these were probably local prostitutes rather than Dutch school girls. Human trafficking spares no race. Zambian girls trafficked to Ireland, Filipina's to the Ivory Coast, Vietnamese to the UK, Thais to the US, Kenyans to Mexico and on and on and on.
This makes three girls we know of Joran van der Sloot being involved with. Are there more or is he just satisfying his own desires?

By JJ | 13 November 2008 9:03 AM

The problem with this reporter is that he does not involve the authorities. The reporter jumps the gun to get the story on the air. If the reporter would have continued with the under cover meetings, this wanna-be gangster rich boy thug, would probably of produced false documents for each woman and arranged for transport to the netherlands. Then my friends, you would have his rear-end dead in the water with no where to hide. End of Mr. Vander Sloot. I do not believe that even his rich (probably) unethical judge father could have gotten his wonderful son out of that one.

By Capt08 | 13 November 2008 2:08 PM

Hmmm... I have yet to hear of any university that would support a project like that. In fact, I would like to know which university that was. There are some prominent legal issues that may need to come in play.

By K | 16 November 2008 1:46 AM

Maybe you should contact fox news or the Holloway's

By Bryan Scott | November 13, 2008 5:03 AM

By jayjay | 26 November 2008 5:03 AM

How you think when the economic crisis will end? I wish to make statistics of independent opinions!

By ooopinionsss | 3 December 2008 10:44 AM

First of all,i think everyone a bunch of liars.And i don't know why this country is so stupid and can't see this poor girl was either killed or sold as a slave.And he is guilty....You got all the answers in your hands to put this guy away but no one does.This poor girl if shes gone is not resting ..Cause everyone being stupid and not actually seeing whats in front of their eyes...He is guilty..Veryyy...He deserves to be in prison for life ....I feel bad for this girls parents..Truthfully if i had a kid and that happened to me,i probably would of,never mind that...Truthfully...But he will get his day.And if she is still alive being sold as a slave for people,I hope she gets away some how.
don't know what to say i just watched the movie my heart was broken...Beautiful girl...Shame...

By michael hines | 20 April 2009 3:37 AM

Y didnt the dude tell the police the truth y did it take them this long to find out what happend? And that movie made me cry the wrong things always happen to the wrong people i mean she had a future!!! I wonder how her mom feels!

By Taya Williams | 25 April 2009 2:43 PM

What i find strange is the fact that they get away with it so easily. Do police not go to brothels and just as undercover police officers ask questions? I think a civil society group should build an investigative unit to determine such things.

By Louis | 5 May 2009 10:43 AM