Everyone who works on a freelance basis or is self-employed needs a Verklaring arbeidsrelatie (VAR). To obtain this bit of paper, you must fill in a form from the tax office every year. If your application is successful, the tax office sends you a declaration which you must pass on to your clients so that they have proof that they do not have to pay your taxes and social security premiums.