Syrian refugee, 13, steals the show on The Voice Kids

Syrian refugee, 13, steals the show on The Voice Kids

A 13-year-old refugee from Syria stole the show on The Voice Kids on Friday evening with his rendition of Diamonds by Rihanna. Jean, who currently lives in in a refugee centre in Almere with his sister, mother and grandmother, had been in the Netherlands for just six months when the recording was made, the AD reported. At the time he lived in a temporary refugee centre in Dordrecht and thanked the centre staff in English for looking after him and his family so well. The three judges -  Ali B, Marco Borsato and Ilse de Lange - all turned their chairs when they heard him sing, but he eventually opted for Borsato's team.   More >



Boy, 15, commits suicide due to nude pic

Syrian refugee, 13, steals the show on The Voice Kids A 15-year-old boy from Enschedé has committed suicide, several hours after discovering a nude portrait of himself was circulating on Instagram, local paper Tubantia reported. The boy jumped from the top of a block of flats in the city on Sunday afternoon. Shortly before he sent a message to friends saying: ‘Sorry for everything. I’m putting the internet off so you can send what you like. It does not matter.’ He also emailed his girlfriend to tell her he loved her. Police are now investigating how the photograph ended up online. They have declined to comment further due to the involvement of so many minors. The school, which is closed for the half term holidays, was open on Tuesday for friends to meet. The boy will be buried in Turkey next week, Tubantia said.  More >


Police: use tech to beat bad driver habits

Syrian refugee, 13, steals the show on The Voice Kids Devices to block the use of mobile phones in cars, speed limiters and breathalysers equipped as standard are among the suggestions in a new police campaign to force drivers to change their habits. Egbert-Jan van Hasselt, national project team leader for infrastructure, said drastic measures were needed to cut the number of accidents on the road. 'Motorists' behaviour is getting worse,' he told NOS Radio 1 Journaal. 'Enforcement on its own is no longer enough. We need to influence their behaviour from the start. 'Technically there are things we can do so that if you've had a drink, your car won't start and if you go too fast you hear a signal or the car will brake automatically. I'm calling on politicians to get to work on this.' The number of road deaths increased in 2015 for the first time in years, from 570 to 621. The biggest increases were on motorways where the speed limit was raised from 120 to 130 km/h: on these stretches the figure trebled from 10 in 2014 to 32 the following year.   More >


Futuristic travel pod wins €600,000

Syrian refugee, 13, steals the show on The Voice Kids Train operator NS and a southern investment fund have pledged €600,000 for an award-winning Delft University of Technology project to develop a futuristic transport pod, reports NU.nl. The capsule, created by engineering students, won the top prize in a competition organised by American space travel company Space X in January. The idea is that a capsule for people or goods is propelled through a vacuum tube faster than the speed of an airline. It reached more than 90kph in a 1.2km test run, reports NU.nl, and now some of the university team are taking the idea forward in a start-up venture called HARDT. This has just won €300,000 in investment from NS’s innovation fund, plus the same again from UNIIQ, an investment body founded by institutions including the universities of Delft and Leiden. The concept behind the pod came from Elon Musk, director of Tesla and SpaceX, who organised a competition to encourage people to realise his dream. Hyperloop is not slowed down by resistance, floats above its rails using magnets to brake and achieve stability, and could potentially travel at 1,000 kph – going from Amsterdam to Rome in two hours. HARDT chief executive Tim Houter told NU.nl he believes the first usable model could be built in four years, and offering passenger rides within a decade. ‘Technologically speaking, we can go quite fast,’ he said, pointing out that the prototype was developed and built in a year. But a spokesperson for NS – which has recently been plagued with complaints about overcrowded trains and poor service – has lower expectations, telling NU.nl that the pods won’t replace trains in the next 10 years.  More >


New law to stop telecom takeovers

Syrian refugee, 13, steals the show on The Voice Kids Takeovers in the telecoms sector which could damage the national interest will be stopped in the Netherlands, if new legislation drawn up by economic affairs minister Henk Kamp becomes law. The draft bill will enable ministers to prevent takeovers of 'telephony, data centres, hosting services and internet' companies which are 'of vital importance to national security and public order,' according to an economic affairs ministry statement. The legislation will give ministers the option of banning or reversing takeovers within the telecoms sector with the aim of securing continuity, the reliability of services and the public interest, the ministry said. Commentators said the new law was inspired by the attempt by Mexican telecoms company America Movil to take over KPN in 2013. Kamp said at the time he was powerless to stop the takeover, which eventually failed. Dutch ministers also intervened last year when Belgian state postal company Bpost tried to take over PostNL. That takeover bid also flopped. Criminal activities 'Our country will not benefit from takeovers by foreign firms which are linked to criminal activities, are financially vulnerable or do not have a transparent ownership structure,' Kamp said in the statement. The draft legislation has now been put out to consultation and Kamp hopes to submit it to parliament before the summer. The ministry is also looking at ways of ensuring the continuity of other services, such as postal delivery.  More >