Saturday 03 December 2022

Rubbish: how much waste does your area produce?

Waste collection in Amsterdam Photo: Dutch News

People living in rural areas create more municipal rubbish than those in cities, according to a new report by Dutch statistics office CBS.

Rural municipalities collect 606 kg of rubbish per person per year, compared with 428 kg for those living in cities – and most of the difference is in organic and garden waste, which cities do not tend to collect separately.

The CBS compared different areas across the Netherlands by whether they were very built-up, strongly built up, rather built up, hardly or not at all like cities.

In the largest cities, rubbish services collected 274 kg of general waste per person per year, 34 kg of organic waste, 30 kg of paper, 18 kg of glass and 71 kg of other waste. In the more rural areas, people were much better at recycling.

Household waste per person by area in 2021 Graphic: CBS

The smallest villages recycled the most paper (61 kg per resident) and organic waste. Outside the cities, glass recycling was 22 kg to 24 kg per person.

Areas that collected the most organic waste were Meerssen, Westerveld and West Maas en Waal, and the least was recycled in Amsterdam (1 kg per person) and The Hague (13 kg).

People living in the Wadden islands had the most waste per person (especially glass) and the place with the least rubbish was Reusel-De Mierden in North Brabant, with 20 kg of waste per person in 2021.

Thank you for donating to

The team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments. has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.