The Dutch foreign ministry has confirmed that a nine-year-old girl from Breda has drowned after her hair began entangled in a swimming pool grill on a campsite in the south west of France.
The accident happened at a campsite in Les Sables-d’Olonne in the Vendée district of France.
Local media report that the girl was unable to free her hair from the installation, which was sucking water into a mushroom waterfall in the pool, and that the lifeguard was unable to revive her. She was taken to a specialist children’s hospital in Nantes but was declared dead by doctors.
A spokesman for Chatodel, which runs the campsite reservation system, told the AD it was the first time such an accident had happened at the swimming pool, which has now been closed.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.