Tuesday 05 July 2022

Man said to have built the Brabant torture chamber dies of cancer

A still from the video released by Brabant police.

A main suspect in the Brabant ‘torture chamber’ case has died of cancer at the age of 41, his lawyers have told the Parool.

The public prosecution department says former sports school owner Robin van O was responsible for building the torture chamber in a shipping container, which was discovered by police two years ago and led to headlines round the world.

Last month, 11 men were jailed for between one and nine years for their role in the case which centred on seven sound-proofed containers in a warehouse in Brabant which had been kitted out as cells.

Ringleader Roger P, nicknamed Piet Costa, was jailed for 33 months, which comes on top of the 15 year sentence he was given in April for smuggling cocaine on a massive scale.

Van O’s case did not go to full trial because the court agreed he was not physically or mentally in a position to go through a major criminal process because of his illness.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.