Sunday 28 November 2021

Test for entry firm was not involved in fraud after all, minister says

Photo: DutchNews.nl

Coronavirus test company Spoedtest.nl was not issuing fraudulent vaccination certificates after all, health minister Hugo de Jonge has told MPs in a briefing.

Earlier this week it emerged that the health ministry had made a formal complaint against Spoedtest.nl, the biggest of the 23 companies offering ‘test for entry’ reports.

But rather than vaccination certificates, the company had actually been issuing proof of recovery to people who had recently been diagnosed with coronavirus. This is wrong, because only the regional health boards are allowed to do so, but is not fraud, De Jonge said on Thursday afternoon.

The company, he said, has now pledged to stop doing this.

In addition, doubts have now emerged about the conclusions drawn in the original report, De Jonge said, without going into details.

The company, which was responsible for carrying out around 20% of test for entry checks, will now be reinstated in the QR code system, De Jonge said.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.