Saturday 06 June 2020

Screening programmes for cancer to start up again

Photo: Depositphotos.com

Three national screening programmes for cancer which had been put on hold because of the coronavirus outbreak are going to be re-started, the health ministry has announced.

Preventative testing for bowel cancer, breast cancer and cervical cancer will be re-introduced in phases, the ministry said. Test kits for bowel cancer will be sent off from this week, while screening for breast and cervical cancer will resume from mid June if sufficient protective equipment is available.

‘National screening programmes are a very important part of preventative healthcare. Early detection and speedy treatment can help many overcome the disease. The coronavirus crisis made a temporary halt inevitable,’ junior health minister Paul Blokhuis said in a briefing to parliament.

Blokhuis stressed that screening will have to take place safely and that this would depend on the availability of sufficient protective clothing for staff.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.