What would have been the first Dutch Grand Prix since 1985 has been postponed, along with races in Spain and Monaco, the Formula 1 organisation said on Thursday.
The Grand Prix should have been held in Zandvoort on the first weekend in May, with Spain following a week later and Monaco at the end of the month.
‘Formula 1, the FIA and the three promoters have taken these decisions in order to ensure the health and safety of the travelling staff, championship participants and fans, which remains our primary concern,’ the organisers said in a statement.
The parties involved are now looking into finding alternative dates for later in the year.
‘The FIA and Formula 1 continue to work closely with affected promoters and local authorities to monitor the situation and take the appropriate amount of time to study the viability of potential alternative dates for each Grand Prix later in the year should the situation improve,’ the statement said.
The postponement had been widely expected following the earlier decision to cancel Formula 1 races in China, Bahrain and Vietnam.
The owners of Zandvoort race track have not yet commented publicly on the postponement.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.