Friday 10 July 2020

Father killed, mother and child serious ill after carbon monoxide leak

photo: Depositphotos.com

One man has died and two people have been hospitalised in a critical condition due to carbon monoxide poisoning at a terraced house in Doesburg.

The emergency services were called out around 7am after a man, woman and child were found unconscious. All three were taken to hospital where the man later died.

According to the AD, the house is lived in by a refugee family from Ethiopia with 12 children. The family have lived in Doesburg for seven years.

Carbon monoxide is spread by defective central heating boilers, poor ventilation and blocked-up chimneys. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include sleepiness, headaches and nausea.

Every year one or two people are killed by the gas in the Netherlands and several dozen taken to hospital.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.