The electric transport vehicles known as ‘Stints’ will be back on the road for the new school year after strict conditions were agreed.
Transport minister Cora van Nieuwenhuizen wrote to Parliament on Wednesday with details of the new rules. The 3,000 Stints are being upgraded to fix a problem with the braking system and will be allowed to carry a maximum of eight children, rather than 10 as before.
The wagons were widely used to transport children to and from daycare facilities, but were banned in the wake of a fatal crash in Oss, Noord-Brabant, last year in which four children died.
Last week the public prosecution service said it had been unable to determine the cause of the accident last September in which a Stint collided with a train. Prosecutors said that the 33-year-old woman driving the vehicle had done everything she could to stop the vehicle.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.